Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Brown snake help?

i had two dekay's snakes and one was so small it looked smaller than an earth worm!! but after some time it died from eating issues. it couldnt ever eat a small piece of worm. it would take 30 minutes for him to finish one small piece. but every other time he would spit it out and leave it be. so i think it was form starvation. it was very sad. i felt bad but they dont get very big at all about 15 inches. right?

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

I think 15 inches is the average. Stitch is a bit longer than that. It's more that they are so darned skinny overall that makes them look so small! And they have a really tiny head!
    Anji

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

I've had lots of brown snakes, also called Brovn Dekay's snakes, they usually love worms and that was all that I fed mine... feed it often and keep it in a warm place with lots of hiding places. I love Brown Dekay's snakes, they are so cute and so tame. I catch wild ones all the time and have never gotten bit or even striked at by one. Good Luck!!!

P.S.

Try putting reptivite on it's food after it already has it in it's mouth... it keeps them healthy.
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Second shed, A Success" salzar's Avatar

the femails are bigger and fatter, more agressive too.
    caught one last year it thought it was a baby rattler , it was to funny seein it coiled up and tryin to strike me, should have kept that one, for her coloring was beautiful...
    bye michelle

Never shed

Aidas hasn't eaten for a week and two days now. Should I be worried? He also seems different form the Dekays snakes you like talking about. I've never one seen him under his shell. He prefers to wrap around it and often is seen stretching up the sides of the tank; he's almost never out of sight.

Any advise for feeding? Does it matter any that he's different and doesn't like hiding? Please help.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

maybe posting a picture to make sure you identified it correctly?, and the fact that he doesnt like hiding might actually feel comfortable, idk about the feeding though
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

I kept Dekays for a couple of years. I never had any trouble getting them to eat if they weren't newborn. They even got very friendly and crawled all over me at feeding time looking for the food. I would like to mention that the females are larger than the males and considering the time of year the one you found may be gravid. I stopped keeping Dekays because I could not get the babies to eat and had to release them. I wouldn't go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    I kept Dekays for a couple of years. I never had any trouble getting them to eat if they weren't newborn. They even got very friendly and crawled all over me at feeding time looking for the food. I would like to mention that the females are larger than the males and considering the time of year the one you found may be gravid. I stopped keeping Dekays because I could not get the babies to eat and had to release them. I wouldn't go through that again.
    Hmm...
    I think I may have a solution to the feeding dilemna.
    Apparently, from my research, dekays also eat insects. So, maybe babies require small insects, such as crickets, roaches, or grubs, to eat.

Never shed

Well I'm possitive it's a Dekays; I searched for days to find a picture of him, and thought maybe he was a juvinile and looked different from an adult, but when I finally found one, I jumped up and down cause it couldn't possibly look more like my Aidas. But I'll try to get you a picture so you can see.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Hmm...
    I think I may have a solution to the feeding dilemna.
    Apparently, from my research, dekays also eat insects. So, maybe babies require small insects, such as crickets, roaches, or grubs, to eat.
    He's not quite a baby. He's over 7 in. long, so he not too far from being a full adult, from what I've read. I think he's somewhere between juvinle and adult.