Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    thesnakeman

Re: The "Hoser review" of the genus Thamnophis...

Thanks Stefan-A for your post. You have introduced me to the new concept of evidence free criticism.

All the best

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesnakeman View Post
    Thanks Stefan-A for your post. You have introduced me to the new concept of evidence free criticism.

All the best
    Thank you Mr Hoser. You've introduced us all to the concept of evidence-free, non peer-reviewed, scientific papers.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

... Mr. Hoser, I would love a copy of your stand up DVD ... you really crack me up!!!

Shunned by numerous forums and the scientific community across the globe.
    Really ... you are following the same idiotic pattern as I have seen on at least 3 other forums. The 'burden of truth' lies with YOU, not US. Show us your evidence in a standardised, cohesive manner. Show us how these things correlate. Assure us that the scientific method was the same for each of the phylogenic sequences you reference (As your papers even fail to address possible gaps/improvements in methodology between studies).

If you want to be taken seriously - start again and do things properly
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

thesnakeman

Thanks for the insults.
    Fortunately insults do not constitute scientific evidence.
    Now it is an interesting concept that you find a little mtDNA and morphology as "evidence free".
    I still await ANY evidence in rebuttal (PS Insults don't count).
    All the best

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

A classic example of the Outer Space Teapot analogy.

"There's a teapot orbiting Mars."
    "Really? Do you have any evidence?"
    "I don't need evidence. You have to prove it isn't!"

I may not agree with Bertrand Russell's worldview, but here, I think his analogy is applicable. You can't just assert X and then demand that your critics must prove that X is false. You have to start by presenting your own evidence first. You can't just make claims, present tenuous evidence at best, and then demand that your critics prove that you are wrong.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Thanks for the insults.
    Fortunately insults do not constitute scientific evidence.
    Now it is an interesting concept that you find a little mtDNA and morphology as "evidence free".
    I still await ANY evidence in rebuttal (PS Insults don't count).
    All the best
    We're not saying that there isn't DNA evidence, what I am consistently saying is that you haven't presented the evidence. Simply referencing 30 papers and saying that they provide evidence of your teapot orbiting Mars isn't good enough, you need to reference the relevant papers and tell us why those papers support your argument. That means a hell of a lot more detail than you have gone into in the AJH articles I've read.

Present your evidence in an unarguable way and you may find that there is more productive criticism.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Why doesn't he get a felt tipped pen and write "hoseri" on the end of scientific names in his reptile books so he can pretend he's a proper scientist.
    Will

He's probably like to write thesnakemani hoseri on all of the species he researches.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Wow, how have I not seen this thread until now?

At 21 years old, and with over 12 years of verifiable snake-handling and keeping experience, I'm... still not a herpetologist, and I still don't care what is tacked onto the end of my snakes' scientific names.

As a biologist... I'm just kind of shaking my head and laughing sadly.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

You're not terribly bright, are you? Tell me, what have I criticized, except for your reading comprehension, which appears to be severely lacking? By the way, do you know what a "red herring" is?

Thanks for the insults.
    You're VERY welcome.