Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Garter Snake Research From Utah State University

I came across this little video this evening where researchers from Utah State University found genetic mutations in the ion channels channels of Oregon red-spotted garter snakes. This mutation gives these snakes immunity to tetrodotoxin (the toxin in many salamanders, puffer fish, and so on that makes them deadly). Tetrodotoxin normally blocks sodium channels in nerves and muscles, and stops nervous signals and muscular contractions. Soon thereafter, the victim dies of respiratory paralysis. The mutated sodium channels have a different structure that isn't affected by the toxin, so these snakes can now take advantage of prey that was previously deadly to them. The snakes with this mutation can now take advantage of a new prey source, which gives them a competitive advantage over snakes that lack this mutation. As a result, these snakes have better survival rates to reproductive age (due to the increased food availability), and ultimately produce more offspring like themselves (with the inherited mutation). It's a recent example of evolution at its finest, using the garter snake as a model. Enjoy the video,
    Rick

Garter Snake Research

Re: Cool Garter Snake Research From Utah State University

So instead of just building up a tolerance and the newt responding with higher quantities, T. s. concinnus has built up a complete immunity to that type of toxin?

Oh, and I came across this blog a few hours before this thread came along: Deadly newt no match for highly evolved garter snake | Science Blog. What a coincidence.

Thanks for sharing Rick. Really interesting .

Sid

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

Very interesting indeed ! So if I understand it correctly only the red spotted have this immunity. Maybe other garters develop the same immunity as well in the future.....
    Thanks for sharing Rick!!

Sabine

A few questions.
    If you breed that mutated snake with other ones, for example an eastern, would that mutation go into the offspring? (we studied all this last year and I already forgot it all)
    And, Do all red spotted garters have the mutation? Sorry, I didn't watch the video yet.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Interesting information Rick. Thanks for sharing.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

That is pretty neat.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

That's right, Stefan. Even the newborns would be immune.

Sabine,
    I've read papers that say there is a correlation between the amount of red on garter snakes and their ability to eat toxic species. I know that the California red-sided garter has a degree of immunity to toxic newts and salamanders in its diet, but I don't know if it has the same mechanism. I suspect it does, though. I wouldn't be surprised if this mutation is more widespread than we know among other species and subspecies.

Matt,
    If the mutation happened in a germ cell (sperm or egg), then the immunity would be heritable. This obviously happened in this case, since the phenomenon is so widespread. Since the mutation exists in germ cells, then you could interbreed with an eastern, giving the eastern's offspring immunity. It may not occur in one generation, though. If the mutation is a dominant trait, then all of the offspring would have immunity. If it's a recessive trait, then none of the first generation of offspring would be immune. If the offspring mated among themselves, then statistically speaking, only 1 in 4 would would be immune. This is probably a dominant trait, though, so all of the offspring would be immune. Any red spots that aren't immune would die if they ate these toxic newts, so I suspect that practically all have the mutation (and immunity).

Rick

I guess a punnett square would help (one thing I did remember ). Yeah, thanks for the biology lesson.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

not sure if the red color has anything to do with the immunity...wandering garters eat salamanders and toads on a regular basis, they have no red...I have seen them eat frogs, toads, and salamander with their skin secretions and have no problems.... Many different garters may hae that type of immunity...red siders in Kansas eat a lot of toads...these toads secrete a nasty milky stuff when getting munched...doesn't bother the snakes, but dogs sure can't stand it!