Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Now!!

Juvenile snake

Need Help Now!!

My ribbon snake polly is acting very funny, she is like cork screwing her head when she moves, she keeps flipping her head over and sometimes her whole body...she is opening her mouth and i think that might be because she is breathing through her mouth....

PLEASE HELP!

Re: Need Help Now!!

It sounds like thiamin deficiency. Is she feeding mainly on fish? If so, what type? Are you adding vitamins to her diet?
    James.

Juvenile snake

she feeds on rosies, and earthworms, i give her repti vitmain mix once a month

Well, I've never experienced this myself. But if I would guess, I would also guess thiamin deficiency. I don't know how to treat it... But a suggestion of mine would be, get some vitamine B1 from the pharmacy, dissolve it in water and give it to her. But as already said, I've never had to treat this, nor experienced it myself, so I hope someone else checks in quick and has the same idea.

edit: Can you check the vitamin mix, does it contain vitamine B1?

If you click the Articles tab at the top of the home page, follow the link for General Care Sheet, you'll find an article on Thiaminase (written by Rick, I think). Read through that, see if it helps.
    James.

She is already in an advanced stadium, I think. So I would get her to a vet. Even if it is something else, seeing an experienced vet is a good idea.

I agree with Snaky, at this advanced stage, it would be wise to see a vet with experience in reptile care. In the meantime I would get a good dose of B1 down her, and then check her diet for the future. I don't know what a rosy is, but I'm betting they contain Thiaminase. Switch to a fish that doesn't contain Thiaminase, there's a list in the same link I gave you.
    James.

Juvenile snake

a rosie is a type of feeder minow, that i heard is better then goldfish.....i cant get her seen until tomorrow morning at the earliest, there are no specailist doctors, in today anywhere near here.

i got her to take some b1 water that i gave to her through a seringe.

ill keep you posted, thanks!

Justin,

I agree with everyone else. Your snake has neurological problems... probably the result of a B1 deficiency. I don't want to freak you out, but you need to know what you're dealing with. Sometimes a B1 deficiency can be corrected with dietary B1 supplements, but in advanced cases they stop absorbing and processing B1 from the diet. Then the only way to help them is via a B1 injection from the vet. Based on that second video, you don't have long to make a decision. Death from a B1 deficiency isn't a pretty sight, but the prospect for a full recovery after a shot of B1 is very good. If you choose to go to the vet, take the video. If not, you should consider euthanasia to spare your pet a very agonizing death. Best wishes,

Rick

Hope you make it to a vet in time.
    When did she last eat?
    When did she last get supplements?
    How is the temp in the tank?
    Are there tank mates?
    I looked at the videos, but I couldn't be sure that she isn't very hyperactive and trying to get up. She does do some weird moving.
    If you can't get her to the vet until tomorrow - I'd try to tide her over with a mild warm soak and dissolve some B1 in the water.
    Best wishes
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain