Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is she?

What is she?

I have been given a couple different answers to this question, I figured that this would be the best place to ask ^_^ What kind of garter do you think she is? I'm not really as informed about garters as I am corns, so I don't really know. I attached a pic of her... at least I think i did lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What is she?

I stink at this game but love to play, so wait for the heavy hitters to weigh in before putting any stock into my guess. I'll guess that she's a fitchi. Did she come from the Western U.S.?

Rick

Doesn't seem to have the red blotch at the corner of its mouth (supralabial #?) that seems to be typical for fitchi? I'd guess parietalis.

But don't put any stock into this guess either. I know even less than Rick about these things. But apart from that, your snake looks strangely familiar.

Yes it does, Stefan . That would be my second guess . If that's wrong, I've only got about 66 more choices. I'm bound to get it right before too long .

Well if we take turns guessing and that 68th guess is correct, then I'll be the one who'll get it right.

Looks like a valley garter to me..thamnophis sirtalis fitchi. Knowing where it was from helps also. I have seen them with various amounts of red on the head....

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    I stink at this game but love to play, so wait for the heavy hitters to weigh in before putting any stock into my guess. I'll guess that she's a fitchi. Did she come from the Western U.S.?

Rick
    I got her from petco.. lol I know that is not helpful at all, but thats all I got. She was sold to me as a "garter snake." Descriptive aren't they?

That seems to be the popular vote. I got her from the petstore, so I have no idea where she is from. The other garters in the petstore with her weren't nearly as colorful as she is. They were just black and brown with white stripes. I dunno if that will help, but thats all I got lol

Yea, that sounds about right for them.....That's why I catch my own or buy from someone online.....real brilliant they are..lol!

Hmmmmm.....kind of hard to tell......either T.s.parietalis or T.s.fitchi? Head seems a bit light for a T.s.fitchi, the top of the heads on them usually seem to be darker......leaning more towards T.s.parietalis...especially since it came from a pet store. Don't remember the last time I saw a T.s.fitchi for sale at a pet store, but they seem to have quite a few T.s.parietalis.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus