Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need...

We need...

... a legislative forum. We have two or three states that are working to pass legislation right now that could affect garters if they are identified as rear fang snakes.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Re: We need...

Hi KitKat,

Can you please give more information on what you are suggesting, and maybe we can create a new section that fits the bill if needed.

Jason

Right now, there is a bill passing in IOWA that will decimate the reptile fancy. An almost identical bill is also being heard in OHIO. I have info on the next hearings in committee on the Ohio bill, and would like to have a herp law section where those who are watching such concerns can post info.

Testimony for the Ohio bill will be 8:30 AM on May 2, for example, and I can also post the room number and a few comments on what to wear, what to say if you want to testify against the bill, and etc. We also just need warm bodies in opposition, so testimony is not the only reason to attend. I am doing this from memory, but I think the room number is 116.

One of the concerns with the bill is language that requires licensing to own rear-fanged snakes.
    KitKat

Oh great, Ohio too?

South Carolina is currently working in the direction of a law against the public keeping what they term "dangerous species". At present this is intended to be any large constrictors and all venomous. I'll do some more research on what is happening here and post an update soon.

My concern is, if they pass on this, where will it stop? Will all reptile keeper finally be forced to stop what we are currently enjoying?

Sid

Ohio, Iowa, and now S. Carolina. And meanwhile, the ARs have a bill in California that is frightening to me... it will outlaw or practically speaking, shut down, ALL breeding of dogs and cats. No matter how ethical the breeder. No matter whether it is someone who shows purebreds.

The whole strategy is to seperate us into little groups and then take each group out one at a time...
    KitKat

I heard about the pit bull issue in California, and it sounded so kooky to me that I thought it was some kind of hoax, or paranoid raving
    after what you're saying, I'm now thinking it might be true
    I cannot find any site on the internet, that will give me clear information on what's illegal to keep in my state. From what I heard, it's all boids, hot snakes, monitors, iguanas, and probably then some.
    I didn't even notice when exactly these laws shifted from applying only to the five Borroughs of NYC, to encompassing all of NY state.
    I am certain that there are tons of people keeping these animals who aren't even aware that their pet has become contraband and they themselves criminals.
    If I can't find it by looking, how would they know?
    I really want to know where one can view the specific laws. I'd like to know whether it's all boids, or just the big ones, for example.
    I think this is totally nuts anyway. (insert rant here)
    Sorry, here I go preaching to the chorus again
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Hi Rhea,
    You'll probably have to contact the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Here's a link to their website:

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation - Protecting NY's Environment and Managing its Natural Resources

Here's a link to the Fish and Game Agencies for the other 49 states for everyone else:

States Fish and Wildlife Departments

Rick

Rick
    that is a fabulous site
    it's got a gigantic subject index of a ton of stuff I want to know about
    way cool
    thanks
    I need to really peruse it more, because so far I've not found anything pertaining to laws governing the keeping of animals
    there are links to legislative data bases
    I've gone through this before to the point of tears
    perhaps I'm not good at navigating the internet
    or it's my English
    it's not usually a problem though . . .
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Rhea,

I'd just call your regional DNR office and ask your question directly. Maybe they'll refer you to a website, but it sure beats trying to navigate through the endless sea of links . Try this page for phone numbers:

Regional Offices

Rick