Thread: Help

Hi, I'm New Here!

Help

hey everyone
    I just rescued a pair of garters from Craigslist two days ago. And I just realized they have parasites idk what kind but I was wondering if the mite spray I have would work and changing to a new tank and bedding would help and get rid of all that old stuff. Scary situation for me as I been longing to start my collection and I finally do and there’s mites 😭. Then I found out from the person I got them from there was a third but they had died before they posted the other 2. Any help would be sufficient as I’m already trying to fix the problem

Re: Help

Keep them as far from other reptiles as possible. Strict handwashing. Use white paper towels as a substrate, to make seeing them easier. I would suggest Provent-A-Mite spray. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. To help relieve them they could be placed in a container with water to soak. A drop is dishwashing soap that will break the water tension which helps drowned the mites.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks buddy tryna upload the picks I think my phone being silly I’ll try again in a few hours.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Pics of supposedly male

Hi, I'm New Here!

Supposedly female

Hi, I'm New Here!

The second one does look like it might be a female, like my common Pacific garter snake, but I am certainly no expert on sexing them, I only know she is a female because she gave birth to six babies. Ill try to post a picture of her here so that you can try and compare them. If you know they are from the same clutch and one is noticeably bigger than the other, then the larger one probably is a female (although that isn’t certain, since they were housed together, because one might have just stolen all the food). Definitely want to change out the tank stuff, and I second the paper towel idea. Keeping them quarantined from other reptiles is a must as well, you don’t want anyone else infected. Best of luck! I wont be able to get any pictures up until later tomorrow, but I will try to do it ASAP. I’m not exactly an expert, but I hope I can help!