Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Disgusted with Animal Planet

Watched Animal Planet's "Rattlesnake Republic"
    I'm very disappointed with Animal Plant" to air this type of show that promotes the killing of these snakes.
    Raiding dens is just part of the job. "It's all about the money" was the theme of the show.
    No conservation and no respect for these wonderful reptiles.
    I do understand the need for these snakes being removed for the protection of people but that's not what this show is about.
    It is about finding and removing all the snakes they can. More money.
    "Looking for the killer snake" "We must get them before they attack"
    Negative hype against rattlesnakes.
    These snakes are not being removed and relocated. They are being sold in the "Trophy Snake" market.
    Much of animal planets programing is on the protection and rescue of animals. Treating injured animals and releasing or finding homes for them.
    I guess that goes right out the window when it comes to reptiles(snakes, alligators, ect.)
    My complaint will not end here.
    Animal Planet will be hearing from me.

These idiots go out and raid these dens and areas to make a few hundred dollars.
    One of them said "It's getting harder and harder to find the big snakes" I wonder why it's so hard Sherlock?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For First shed"

Re: Disgusted with Animal Planet

I agree, I would definitely feel much different if they had to do it to survive, but no. Instead those poor rattlers are being abducted,killed, and barbecued for extra cash and for "a delicacy"

Can you send around that email for me to sign as well kittykat19825@yahoo.com
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I'll sign an email if you send one around too. lsigmon2@elon.edu

I was in a class awhile back where they talked about how rattlesnake bites have actually gone up since the 'rattlesnake roundups' started. The idiots out raiding the wild populations usually find the snakes that are quick to rattle. This means that the snakes that aren't set on a hair-trigger to rattle are the ones passing on their genetics, which has led to populations in some areas that won't warn you until it's almost too late. It's a lose-lose.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

It's unfortunate Animal Planet isn't spending more of their airtime promoting education when it comes to these animals. Sad to see the sensationalistic negative stereotypes being reinforced. On some level it's a good lesson to show these kinds of shows if it's also explained how terrible it is what they're doing and exposing the ignorance. Without any educational component it's just them showing a "scary snakes have to die" show.. Let us know if you get a response Steve.
    Chris

Quite a few aspects of animal planet have gone down the sewer.

SCOUSER

Is there any way to get some other part of the media to feature animal planets double standards,, or perhaps targeting the firms which advertise on that channel
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

Animal Planet is owned by Discovery networks. Who have a "deal" with BBC worldwide.

The money mongers could care less, as long as there are good viewer ratings.

This is my complaint to Discovery Channel:

Wow, so much for conservation of animals. Nothing but negative reptile hype.
    It's all about the money theme.
    To make it worse it isn't even big money. A few hundred dollars to raid and destroy dens and decimate a population. Not one positive comment about how these snakes benefit us. They do not attack. They defend themselves. I'm very disappointed in your choice to air this kind of programming. Animal Plant isn't concerned about all animals. Only the ones they choose.
    "Suprisingly human" not even. "Suprisingly inhumane" is more like it.
    Steve Gilfillan 712-322-2953

Here is a link to get a complaint/comment started:
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I value an animals life more than I do a humans life or my own.

Some species are bred for feeding people like chickens and cows mainly. But I am absolutely disgusted when wild free roaming animal that wants nothing more than just to survive is killed for sport or food.

They think there is an overpopulation of animals.. what makes them think that? what about humans... this world can use a couple billion less people... only within 60 years 4.5 BILLION more people are alive today, I'd do it for the money :/
    0.0.1 - Thamnophis Radix
    1.1.0 - Thamnophis Marcianus / 1.1.3 - Albino