"Preparing For First shed" 05brandon50's Avatar

Question Respiratory infection?

Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to know your opinions on my corn snake's "problem." I know this is not a corn snake forum, but my question applies to all snakes.

My question is regarding the noise my snake makes when it breathes out. It sounds as when you breathe out your nose and there is a little mucus in the way and you can hear the air leaving your nose. I wouldn't call it a weeze as it doesn't seem like he's having trouble breathing. He's made this noise for a while now and every time I take him out I check his nasal region and there is no visible mucus, bubbles, etc. He has a great appetite as well and is doing everything a snake normally does. I also never keep his enclosure humid or damp (except for shedding time).

Should I be worried? Should I take him to see a vet? I have no close vets that see reptiles so I'd need to travel a ways to see one.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!
    1 corn: August
    1 ball python: Kenya
    1 red sided garter: Rita
    Brandon

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Re: Respiratory infection?

lets start with the substrate, what do you use?
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

When in doubt see the Vet. before it gets worse.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For First shed" 05brandon50's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snake man View Post
    I use aspen bedding sold at Petco. I have only used it throughout his life, and I change it about every one-two months
    1 corn: August
    1 ball python: Kenya
    1 red sided garter: Rita
    Brandon

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

The vet would be a good idea, you can try a less dusty bedding also, such as reptile bark which is also sold at petco.
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

When my Cee Cee had a respiratory infection, she didn't have a lot of the telltale signs...she didn't have bubbles, or a swollen area below her chin. She just kept making a wheezing sound. Turned out when I took her to the vet...he could see bubbles and mucous when he opened her mouth and the infection was bad enough that she needed a course of antibiotics. So I would go ahead and take the snake to the vet.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Reptile Bark > Aspen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snake man View Post
    No substrate is going to cause that. I don't know why people insist it does. Even the dustiest substrate will only cause quick sneezing to clear the nostrils. If your snake doesn't also have a RI, that is.

Sounds like your corn snake has an advanced RI. His only chance is immediate vet care to get a prescription for antibiotics, usually Baytril suspension, orally for 7-14 days. In severe cases, an injection initially.

Improper temps / environment, combined with stress/lowered immunity is usually the cause. Specifically, usually too warm with a lack of temperature gradient.

Drafty, too cold, dampness, unsanitary conditions can also cause it. Rarely, it is caused by the snakes lowered immunity due to being gravid, high parasite load, age, etc. while fighting off an asymptomatic virus. This opens the door for normally harmless bacteria to invade the upper respiratory system. Without proper antibiotic therapy, it usually turns to pneumonia and then its fatal.

Regardless of anything else, I'm sure this is a RI and vet visit is needed promptly.