Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello everyone! (and a question if thats ok)

Hey there!

Im Martha and im new to the forum and pretty new to this hobby.
    I bought my first thamnophis, a couple of infernalis from a great breeder.
    I am super happy with these to and would love to learn more about these snakes on the forum.

So any tips are always welcome!

I have a question right away if thats ok.
    Ive had them now for about 3 months and they are amazing, so interesting and beautiful!
    They eat from a tweezer and are not as scared as they were.
    I was wondering if its possible to ''tame'' them a bit more, hopefully to a point where holding them is no longer as stressfull for them.
    I now minimize the contact only to when i need to change their bedding but they get verry scared and pee at this point.
    I would like to (if possible) find a way or method to get them used to being held for these occasions to be less stressfull and it would be amazing to be able to see them more close.
    Is there a way thats best to ''tame'' them? I now put my hand in their enclosure every now and then and they dont ''run'' away anymore. But as soon as i get close or try to pick them up they get quite scared.

Hopefully someone has experience with this
    And if its not possible i will just keep them as a viewing animal ofcourse and not bother them to much.

Thank you!
    Greets,
    Martha

Re: Hello everyone! (and a question if thats ok)

Try feeding them by hand so they get used to your actual hand. Then introduce your hand with no food and get them used to exploring your hand. From there you can pick them up while they are exploring. Slow baby-steps with this and they should be fine. I have always heard that T.infernalis can be a bit jumpy so be aware of that. In my years working with Thamnophis I've learned that in most situations the females seem to be the ones they can be the calmest. The males have an attitude of leave me alone unless you are offering food or a female at breeding time.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee