Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress" TheArtist's Avatar

Finding Garters in Calgary?

Hey I am a aspiring photographer. I also happened to love reptiles. I live near the prairies and somewhat on the edge of town. I really would like to find some garters and photograph them but my problem is, I've only ever found garters when I was 6 and we went camping. i have no idea where to look! There is a wooded area behind the house and a large horse pasture nearby. But how do I find garters? Are there any signs to look for in a location to know if garter snakes live there? I'm super thrilled about taking photos of these awesome little snakes and I welcome all advice and help ^^!

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

Re: Finding Garters in Calgary?

I generally look for a water source and then just flip cover. Most of it includes rocky outcroppings on the sides of hills near water sources, big pieces of wood or sheets of tin are always great. Just go explore and see what you turn up, garters live all over and are very versatile!

does there need to be a water source around for there to be garters? And how much water is required? Theres a very small little stream in the forest behind my house, however it's not running, i think it's just a collection of rain water, but there is moss and grass around it, there may be a water source in the pasture but again i'm not sure.

Thank you for your help! I am looking forward to going out exploring to find garters!

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

Should be some there then, I find plenty of garters around creeks. There doesn't always need to be water. One of the parks I go to has no water source too closely to it, just a lot of rocks and hiding places, and there are still plenty of garters crawling around. ;0

Well I wish todays attempt had been so fruitful! But sadly no luck today. I did find a positive water source though complete with lots of rocks. But even still I had no luck. It was a bit colder today so I will go again tomorrow and maybe go check the pasture. I learned one thing though we haclve HUGE wolf spiders! Lucky they don't scare me!

Watch for shed skins and poop as those are some good signs you have them in your area. If you have ever smelled Garter poop then you can also be smelling for them.
    I was over by my garbage cans one day and could clearly tell I have Garters(radixes) back behind them along the fence. Sure enough they are using that as a shelter area. Found 5 of them sleeping there. Good luck.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

also look out where u walk ...u might find somthn else...long story tell later
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

still no luck with the forest behind my house. I looked out for skins, smelt the air a lot (I assume garter poop doesn't smell like flowers) and uprooted logs and stuff. Then I started wondering why I was looking in the forest. There only seems to be spiders in there and I would think a snake would need a source of food to stick around. I see no rodents, only one place that may have some earth worms and there are defiantly no fish. So I think i'll go check the pasture. There's a wooded area up there that may have something.

Also: Because they eat worms, would it be worth going out looking for snakes after it's rained?
    Amps: 1F Fire Belly Newt, Buddha
    Fish: 5M 3F Guppies 1M 1F Betta Fish 1M Gourami 4NA Kuhli loach 1F Krib

Strikingly Graphic

Garter snakes love hiding under boards and tarps.
    Which is more tempting: The fruit of knowledge or the possessed, talking serpent? DUH! - The Serpent!

if its really hot ...during middle of the day look under fences and crud etc...o i mean TEXAS hot
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "