Never shed

Temperature question that's been bugging me.

Hi guys... I'm wondering why garters have to be kept at certain temps. I live in Washington State and we have garters here out in the wild, which are exposed to (depending on the time of year) anywhere from slightly below freezing to the upper 90's (granted, 90's are rare for our state). I have heated tanks for my garters (~70 on the cool side & ~80 on the warm side), but am wondering how necessary it is.

Re: Temperature question that's been bugging me.

Good to have you along.

I live on Whidby Island and have been asking the very same question.

I raise CA Kings 50/50, Rosy, Sand and Chocolate Boas, and Sonoran Gophers. I try to create the warm environment with heat pads.

Recently I was at Deception Pass Park I came across a great looking T. ordinoides and she was not looking for a heat pad.

There is some good information here. I have gleaned is it’s not really necessary to have the habitat heated and concluded that my reptile room temp of 77 in the winter and 85 in the summer will be just fine.
    Michael
    1.1 Woma (Sun Burst), 2.1 Eastern Blackneck, 3.3 Plains Garter, 3.1 Puget Sound,
    2.1 Granite Checker, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (snake sitting )

Quote Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
    Hi guys... I'm wondering why garters have to be kept at certain temps. I live in Washington State and we have garters here out in the wild, which are exposed to (depending on the time of year) anywhere from slightly below freezing to the upper 90's (granted, 90's are rare for our state). I have heated tanks for my garters (~70 on the cool side & ~80 on the warm side), but am wondering how necessary it is.
    Reptiles in general need to be able to thermoregulate, because their optimal temperature varies depending on what the snake is doing. While it's digesting its food, for example, that temperature needs to be higher for it to digest it as efficiently as possible and to make the best possible use of the energy it extracts. If the snake is kept at the same temperature at all times, there's a risk that the temperature is going to be below optimal at all times, or above optimal at all times. Even a broken watch is going to be right twice a day and to me this whole thing with only providing the same temperature throughout the enclosure, is pretty much the same thing. Too high temperatures can have two obvious consequences: dehydration or even heat stroke. Having a heat gradient is about creating a safety margin for the snake and giving it the chance to thermoregulate, i.e. pick the best possible temperature depending on its needs at the moment. And they know far better than we do which temperature is best for them at what time and in light of that, it's best to just offer them a heat gradient. It's so much more important for reptiles to be able to choose their temperature since how well their whole metabolism functions depends on the temperature. Even we "warmblooded" animals notice when the temperature is a couple degrees off optimal and reptiles are completely dependent on the temperature of their surroundings to get as close to optimum operating temperature as possible. Even if they survive a wide range of temperatures, those temperatures are seasonal, meaning that they aren't constant, which means that the snake can simply just take certain precautions to survive them, e.g. brumating or fasting when the temperature is too low, or seeking shade or refuge underground when it's too hot. Temperatures that are "off optimal" require a lot from the snake and like I pointed out in a previous thread on the subject, everywhere they thrive in the wild, they are also able to thermoregulate. For example, look at the range of the common garter snake. It's probably the second most wide-spread terrestrial snake in the world and you can find them from Florida's tropical conditions to the subarctic conditions of Alaska. One thing that varies throughout its range is the period of time each year that allows the snakes to reach that optimal temperature and use it to mate, breed, hunt, digest its food and grow. The simple fact that they can survive certain conditions in the wild doesn't mean that it's in their best interest to be kept under the same conditions constantly. The reason is that they simply tolerate temperatures that other species don't. However, since we're keeping these animals, it's our obligation to keep them under the best possible conditions and not try to take completely unwarranted shortcuts. There is such a thing as microclimate, which the snakes themselves utilise in the wild and the closest thing to a microclimate we can create for our snakes, is a simple heat gradient or a basking spot.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

well said
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Most eloquently and accurately explained, Stefan.
    James.

"Preparing For First shed"

Anyone ever use a temp gun on a garter in the wild? Those little buggers like it warm.

Never shed

Thanks Stefan for taking the time to answer so thoroughly. I will continue to keep my garters' tanks heated with their gradients.

Stefan,
    Very well explained.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee