Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress" Reptiliancousin's Avatar

Question Mysterious Orange Goo

I've had ribbon snakes for two years and none of them had ever gooed before. I was checking in on Singapore a few minutes ago and found this weird orange goo spread about her tank. I've never seen this before and I want to know if I should be concerned. I'm unsure how she disposed of it. Is it discharge, vomit, or even birthing stuff? I didn't spot any babies and she appears fine, bright eyed, alert, and curious as ever. Are any of you familiar with this orange goo?

ViperAndOrangePuss 014.jpgViperAndOrangePuss 016.jpgViperAndOrangePuss 021.jpgViperAndOrangePuss 022.jpgViperAndOrangePuss 023.jpg

Re: Mysterious Orange Goo

those are unfertilized eggs, commonly called slugs or jelly beans.

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    those are unfertilized eggs, commonly called slugs or jelly beans.

I concur with Dr. Don
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Jellybeans! Just in time for Easter, too.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Yep..undoubtedly jellies...should he check her abdomen to make sure she got all of them out? Does it work that way with jellies?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

It wouldn't hurt to (gently) push against her abdomen to see if there are more. I'm sure most of them pass over time. Mama throws me a jellybean or two every few months, but she eats normally and is always active. If she isn't lethargic or showing any sign of a problem, it should be fine. It's always better safe than sorry, though.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

What they said ^^^ it's just unfertilized eggs. That yellow "goo" is egg yolk. Sometimes when snakes mate, something goes wrong and the eggs don't get fertilized. Typically when that happens, the snake will gain weight and appear to be carrying offspring but instead will "give birth" to quite a few unfertilized eggs. However, even if there is no male and no breeding, a female will occasionally toss out a "slug" or two. There's most likely no reason to be concerned as long as she doesn't retain any of them. As long as she gets them out, she'll be fine.

Watch her over the course of the next week or so. If she seems to be behaving normally, eating, etc. then everything is fine. If it turns out that you have a pair of them (male and female) then brumating them this coming winter will increase the likelyhood that next time they breed, the eggs will be fertile and you will get a litter of babies. Male's sperm count and fertility is generally better after he spends a period of time brumating.

Is she alone in her tank? was it just one or a few "globs" ? If so, then everything is OK. perfectly normal. You should get her a boyfriend though. She wants to reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Jellybeans! Just in time for Easter, too.
    LoL!
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 04-07-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping that it wouldn't be unfertalized eggs. I guess she and Charlie didn't get along. There were two or three slugs and just a lot of yellow/light orange goo spread all over the tank. Should I try putting Charlie in again?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

I'm no expert on breeding. In fact, I've deliberately avoided it until recently. But I'd say wait a while. Give the poor girl some time to recover, and then try again.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

I'll do that. Just finished cleaning up the tank. She may have one more egg inside her I'm not sure, but I will be keeping an eye on her.