"Preparing For First shed" GGarter's Avatar

Snakes and music

Hey guys.

As I am playing the bass in a band, I wondered how snakes respond to the vibrations, caused by the low tones.

I know that some snakes register vibrations in the ground, as we would hear, and that made me thinking if the snakes would see it as a danger approaching and would get stressed out?

Does anyone know something bout this subject?

Greets Tore

Re: Snakes and music

its good that u mention that , being a huge music lover adn a drummer i make plenty of noise, i try n keep all my music down i my room were i keep my critters but when i turn it realloud and i need my music fix i just turn the bass down alot and i keep my speakers away from my cages and off the floor so vibrataions dont travel as much, but what isrealy kool is that someone mentioned them possibly thinking its thunder in the i gave my garters a little mist with a water spring and theone day i actualy cranked my music to see how they reacted bottle and theystarted breeding like crazy for a good hour of two of couplulation/breeding with a continual mist evry so often .very kool , might benextyears method =)
    besides that i dont think u wanta crank anything too loud , i noticed most mysnakes were kool (the non breeding ones) except my huge male everglades ratsnake, he seemed like he was getting restless and didnt like it, i turned themusic down and watched him chill out and go back in his den ,lol.
    so im sure youdont wawant to crank anything too loud, my bands practice and i jam myself in my basement 2 floors down adn my girlfriend said they all seemed fine up here , none were freaking out or getting allstirred up n restless.so if your having a full bad practice youdefinately wanta keep it as far away but i tihnk youd be alright with just a sterio in your room if your playing along with a cd or just keeping your amp down low.

may i ask what kinda music you listen to . and what kind you play ?
    what kinda bass and amp do you rock?

"Preparing For First shed" GGarter's Avatar

I listen to lots of different stuff, mostly hard rock and political rapmusic, but that doesn't meen that i'm not a sucker for an old classic track...

I play a Squire jazz bazz, but i'm seriously considering buying myself an epiphone SG EB03 bass.(I'd love the Gibson but I don't have that kind of money)

we play fast and noisy but not messy rock'n'roll... Okay it's a bit hard to describe....
    Last edited by GGarter; 04-12-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: correcting answer

good stuff man, my brothers got a fender jazz bass but its a mexican make not american, a little cheaper .squirs (spelling?)still do the trick man just keep it in good shape.
    ive been in one too many bands and im only 19 ,we set local band history around were i live, we packed over 250 people at a small local show.
    have u ever heard of the band cinderella? old 80 hair metal band . i dont realy like em but the guitarist lives 3 houses down from one of my guitarist, his old@$$ gibson halfstack is actualy in my basement now .

check this out its me just playing some drums, first day i set my kit up in 6 months , they were in storage during my whole move from the other side of my town , lol far.
    YouTube - Ryan Fitzgerald improv Drum solo/jam

and this is my deathmetal band, for when i need to get some aggression out
    www.myspace.com/closedcasket88

i dont have any websites for my other bandsor my old ones ,thers me bymyself and my oldschool deathmetal band

Snakes have middle and inner ears... just not outer ears, so the sound vibrations are still picked up and processed. They just aren't as sensitive to sound as we are. Yet they pick up low frequency sound vibrations better than any other frequency. As Ryan says, keep the bass down, and don't play loud music "continually." That'll stress them out, but loud music once in a while probably isn't going to do them any harm. Just don't expose them to the kind of thunderous bass that comes pounding out of cars at stop lights. That'll definitely stress them out.

Rick
    Last edited by Cazador; 04-12-2007 at 07:24 PM.

wow i never thought of that
    Josh

0.0.2 T.s.sirtalis

"First shed In Progress"

i cud sell u and epiphone sg, not bass tho lol =p

epiphone sg?
    its not a JR is it?lol
    hey snakecatcher , what part of wilkes barre do u live in?
    thats not that too far from me ,glad to see locals on here

Cool Re: Snakes and music

Well I'm a burlesque dancer and really want to incorporate a snake into my routine. I've often wondered about how it's going to affect my snake. Having a bunch of bite marks after a performance wouldn't be very sexy!
    Elle Driver: "In Africa, the saying goes 'in the bush, an elephant can kill you, a leopard can kill you, and a black mamba can kill you.' But only with the black mamba is death sure. "