Thread: Advice/Info

Hi, I'm New Here!

Advice/Info

Hello. Brand new here, from Wisconsin.

So I've had my Common Garter Snake for about 8-9 months now, no problems, infact I've never had any problems with these snakes.

Currently, the snake is wandering the cage using its head to find the boundaries and obstacles. Doesn't seem to notice my movement anymore (always used to) and will occasionally flip out and thrash about the cage.

Last time it ate was 3-4 days ago, about 3 baitfish minnows. Started noticing this 2 days ago.

Possible blindness?

Probable cause 1: The water he drinks is city water, and I live about a block from the water tower, and there is noticeable residue on our dishes from when the water evaporates.

Probable cause 2: I've heard that certain species of fish will cause brain illness in snakes, can't remember which species it is, or what species of baitfish i'm feeding him. I prefer to feed him leafworms/nightcrawlers but since its been winter for about 5 months now, those are hard to come by.

Any experience or advice on this situation of mine would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Vet is not an option, just looking for info/advice.

Re: Advice/Info

Welcome to the forum.

Most bait shop minnows are usually bad for garters. Thiaminase and parasites.
    Here's a link to the forum care sheet Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets
    Can you be more descriptive of 'flip out".
    Could very well be thiaminase trouble.
    If you aren't feeding any supplements I would suggest you start as soon as possible. This is the product I use Amazon.com: Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 (4.1 oz) Ultrafine Powder Pink bottle: Kitchen & Dining

A Vet. would be the best for a professional evaluation.

Keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Minnows contain thiaminase, which depletes b1 from your snake and can cause problems. You should try feeding it guppies instead. You can usually find night crawlers in most stores like walmart, Fred Meyers or other grocery stores, or in bait stores.

It could be that he might be in shed and is trying to get it off, my northwesterns have a tendency to be more slow to noticing movements and bump into things when they're trying to get the skin off. After they leave opaque phase (after their eyes go milky and go back to normal) They will start doing that. It lasts up to a week. My female is currently doing that. Perhaps a more experienced member could give you more insight as to what it is. It may not be what I think it is.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Minnows contain thiaminase, which depletes b1 from your snake and can cause problems. You should try feeding it guppies instead. You can usually find night crawlers in most stores like walmart, Fred Meyers or other grocery stores, or in bait stores.

It could be that he might be in shed and is trying to get it off, my northwesterns have a tendency to be more slow to noticing movements and bump into things when they're trying to get the skin off. After they leave opaque phase (after their eyes go milky and go back to normal) They will start doing that. It lasts up to a week. My female is currently doing that. Perhaps a more experienced member could give you more insight as to what it is. It may not be what I think it is.

Yea, i read into similar cases while I was waiting for this post to be approved <4 hours > >

Its almost spring time, so worms should be back in the bait store now. Its almost deffinately vit B defficiency....been eating baitfish now (and nothing else) since november.

Thanks for the reply.

I see worms in baitshops year round where I am.
    You can sprinkle a vitamin supplement on the worms, but don't do too much. A really light dusting would be enough.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Greetings
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

The water may very well be the problem, you are describing symptoms of dehydration.

The fact that your snake recently ate also lends a little credibility to that concept, The digestion process will draw water from within the snakes internals to aid in digestion and disrupt the PH of the snakes blood.

Someone correct me if I'm way off base.