Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

Re: anyone from UK info needed

I just finished first round of treatment.......if you would just take a few moments to have a quick read and let me know if you think I have done anything wrong, or if I have left anything out.
    So here goes :-
    1. Put some water(tepid) in an old small faunarium and put Martha in for a bath.
    2. Binned everything in the Viv substrate,hides,water bowl etc.(pet shop guy said I could boil everything and that would be fine) but I think getting rid is best(luckily I haven't had the chance to move her into new viv yet)
    3. Used hot water,viv disinfectant and finally the Callingtons on the enclosure(let the enclosure air dry)
    4. Took Martha put her in the bath and rinsed her with the shower(she seemed to like this)
    5. Put news paper in the enclosure
    6. Gave Martha a serious coating with the Mite-Off(also using the Mite-Off box as a temp hide)
    7. Gave the small faunarium the same treatment as the enclosure(will need it over the coming weeks)
    I have got the heat-mat running now so I can moniter the temps(no aspen in there now, so making sure it doesn't get too hot)
    The follow on treatment is :-
    1. Change paper every day
    2. Bath and Mite off every three days
    3. Callingtons every seven days
    For the next two/three weeks
    So there you go,let me know what you think?
    Mark

Good luck! Mites are the worst!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

I received a call back(message left) from the makers of Provent-A-Mite. They informed me that they do ship to the U.K. and have many customers their.
    I will call them back during business hours to get the particulars.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Is it just the one snake you have? If it is then no problem but if not then its worth checking your other vivs. Like steve said these guys are like a plague. My first course of action if I found what seemed to be mites would be to remove the infected vivarium to stop any mites from infecting other vivs, then check the others and remove as appropriate.
    Sam 2.1 T.s.sirtalis 0.2 T.marcianus 0.0.1 L.g.floridana 1.0 L.g.californiae 1.0 Eryx colubrinus 0.0.1 P.g.guttatus 0.1 Python regius

Quote Originally Posted by Eight View Post
    Is it just the one snake you have? If it is then no problem but if not then its worth checking your other vivs. Like steve said these guys are like a plague. My first course of action if I found what seemed to be mites would be to remove the infected vivarium to stop any mites from infecting other vivs, then check the others and remove as appropriate.
    I have two snakes, the other one is a Thayers kingsnake, and as I'm changing the paper in Marthas viv each day when I finish doing that, I give him the once over but as he is bright green to red the mites would be easier to see but I haven't seen any on him

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I received a call back(message left) from the makers of Provent-A-Mite. They informed me that they do ship to the U.K. and have many customers their.
    I will call them back during business hours to get the particulars.
    Thanx Steve

Day 3 of treatment,....Changed the paper yesterday saw some corpses and 3 Live mites.
    Changed the paper to-day and saw only 1, checked Martha over and could'nt see anything on her .........
    So now the waiting game starts ................dum de dum

Good luck, Mark...sounds like you are doing a great job dealing with this. Like Steve and others have said...mites can be horrible to get rid of...but you are hitting the problem head on. I haven't had any experience dealing with them myself, knock on wood, but you have several members here who seem to be doing a great job staying on top of this and helping you. Good job guys! Best of luck, Mark...keep us posted!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I just spoke to Bob at Provent-A-Mite. He stated that shipping(to U.K.) cost for 1 can is $15 and $20 for two cans. It can be purchased on the website. An email will be sent to the buyer to explain the exact shipping cost. Bob also welcomed any questions from members, simply email him from the Provent-A-Mite website.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanx Steve
    I think the Mite-off and Callingtons seems to to be doing the biz at the moment, the bonus is I can get them off the shelf on any given day.