Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

anyone from UK info needed

I think Martha has mites
    I was changing her water earlier, and I noticed tiny black dots in it....so I emptied it through some kitchen paper and noticed they were tiny bugs ...are they mites?............ if so what do I need to get and where do I get it from?

Re: anyone from UK info needed

If you smear them on a white paper towel it will stain black or dark blood red. Your description sounds like mite.
    They are a terrible thing and can kill a snake. They also spread like a plague.

Be aggressive in this battle.
    Not sure if this product is available in the U.K. Maybe some U.K. members can suggest something else.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/9493-provent-mite-usage.html

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    If you smear them on a white paper towel it will stain black or dark blood red. Your description sounds like mite.
    They are a terrible thing and can kill a snake. They also spread like a plague.

Be aggressive in this battle.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...ite-usage.html
    Thanx Steve but that's why I'm asking for help from UK guy's .....don't know if I can get that stuff over here

"Third shed, A Success" ScimitarX's Avatar

Callingtons mite spray seems to be the best thing on the market these days. Weve just changed to it at work since what we were using before wasnt working.

Reptile Callington Mite Spray 100g: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
    Claire

Quote Originally Posted by ScimitarX View Post
    Callingtons mite spray seems to be the best thing on the market these days. Weve just changed to it at work since what we were using before wasnt working.

thanx gonna order some ...like now
    what do I do spray the snake with it??

I just called the company and left a message. Should have an answer in the next couple of days.

In the meantime you can give your snake some relief as follows.
    Get two containers. Put cool water in the first and let your snake soak for a few minutes. This way she will get a drink.
    In the second container put luke warm water and 1 drop of liquid soap. Place the snake in there for about 30 minutes.
    The soap will break the water tension and not allow the mites to float and survive.
    After the soak take your snake and make it crawl through some paper towels you have in your hand. Hold the snake tight enough that it has to work to get out of your had. Do this a couple of times. Then check the towels for mite. Whether any are found, treat the towels like they are infected. Place them in a plastic bag and get them out of your house. Remove all the bedding, hides, plants, everything. If it is easily replaced trash it all. Plastic plants can be soaked in a warm, soapy water solution. Spray out the enclosure with a 1 to10 bleach solution (1 part bleach/ 10 parts water) Until this problem is solved it would be best to give your snake the bare minimum of enclosure item as you are going to be repeating this process every day for at least a week. White paper towels are the best substrate at this time. Smash any mites you see.
    The biggest problems with mites is the fact you can't see the newborn mites.
    Mites are a terrible thing to deal with and it must be done with an aggressive attitude or they will simply return.
    I've been where you are at and it is no fun.
    Best of luck.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by ScimitarX View Post

Nice going Claire. You're a peach
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I just called the company and left a message. Should have an answer in the next couple of days.

In the meantime you can give your snake some relief as follows.
    Get two containers. Put cool water in the first and let your snake soak for a few minutes. This way she will get a drink.
    In the second container put luke warm water and 1 drop of liquid soap. Place the snake in there for about 30 minutes.
    The soap will break the water tension and not allow the mites to float and survive.
    After the soak take your snake and make it crawl through some paper towels you have in your hand. Hold the snake tight enough that it has to work to get out of your had. Do this a couple of times. Then check the towels for mite. Whether any are found, treat the towels like they are infected. Place them in a plastic bag and get them out of your house. Remove all the bedding, hides, plants, everything. If it is easily replaced trash it all. Plastic plants can be soaked in a warm, soapy water solution. Spray out the enclosure with a 1 to10 bleach solution (1 part bleach/ 10 parts water) Until this problem is solved it would be best to give your snake the bare minimum of enclosure item as you are going to be repeating this process every day for at least a week. White paper towels are the best substrate at this time. Smash any mites you see.
    The biggest problems with mites is the fact you can't see the newborn mites.
    Mites are a terrible thing to deal with and it must be done with an aggressive attitude or they will simply return.
    I've been where you are at and it is no fun.
    Best of luck.

Thanx again Steve....once again proving ...the fact I love this forum

Right I'm at work at the momenet but I just got of the phone to the pet shop.
    They sell callingtons there. they also suggested that I use Zoo-Meds mite off
    The guy said I use the mite off on the snake and the callingtons on the viv, and to repeat after 7 days to make sure.
    Spoke to wifey she is going to go to the pet shop to pick up the treatment, and I'm gonna crack on with when I get home.
    Mark

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Sounds like you have a plan Mark. Good luck.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia