Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taxonomy?

Re: Taxonomy?

Having brothers makes girls better. Of course the reverse is also true. Glad our girl was first!

There are many forum members but only so many are active at any given time. Does anyone know from past members or currently, is anybody trying to have a sample of every garter? Does anybody have at least one of every type? I've seen some insane reptile rooms on you tube. So I know how out of control a reptile collection can get. Doesn't seem to far fetched for people to have 30 some garters and cover the species.

If I had a huge house and lots if money I would do that! I have 3 species right now, and soon to be 5. I think the only place where you would be able to have every species would be UK. The San Frans are federally protected here in the US and there are many places in Canada where it's illegal to have native species in captivity.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I would too, if I could. I'm happy with my northwesterns right now, though.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I'm not sure that every garter species is held in captivity full-stop, let alone in the same collection. I'm pretty sure that if as a from we used the current species list as a checklist we would still have some gaps between us.

Marnie is also correct about completing a full collection, ironically you'd need to be in Europe to do it because of the federal protection of tetrataenia.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I think that was Kat that said that actually. It would definitely be awesome to be able to say that I had a full collection of every species and subspecies of garter though. Thanks for putting that in my head guys! Now I will be on some new mission....

No! No! No more garters right now...bad Marnie! I need to get to a meeting....lol.

If you see on the news that some crazy lady was running through a park in San Fran with a snake in her hand and a bunch of cops chasing after her...it wasn't me!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Maybe you could just pick one up and then for that moment you'd have the full list. Or possibly rehab an injured one as there are exceptions for that.

Really? I didn't know that. I guess I would have to stumble upon an injured San Fran garter though. I certainly wouldn't mind rehabilitating an injured snake. I would definitely want to help in any way I could in a situation with an injured garter.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchfire View Post
    Maybe you could just pick one up and then for that moment you'd have the full list. Or possibly rehab an injured one as there are exceptions for that.

To disturb them is violating Federal law. Plus I don't think I would want the evidence used to convict to come from me
    I've been told that the only place they can be rehabilitated is the S.F. Zoo.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post

To disturb them is violating Federal law. Plus I don't think I would want the evidence used to convict to come from me
    I've been told that the only place they can be rehabilitated is the S.F. Zoo.
    That was my understanding when I read up around the crazy laws that may well end up being a nail in San Frans' coffin. That there is no process to obtain permission to captive breed them makes the species so much more vulnerable. Limited breeding with microchipped snakes and licensed breeders would make sense to me.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia