Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Bad night crawlers from Walmart *Alert*

Bought 2 packs of 20 night crawlers from Walmart Thursday.
    Every snake fed those worms had brown diarrhea starting last night and continuing into today.
    Worms were alive, if not terribly lively, but it has been a very bad year for worms. (Hence my purchase,)

The second pack is going in the bin. I am just hoping nothing worse develops.

20 night crawlers.
    Product of canada
    DMF bait company.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Re: Bad night crawlers from Walmart *Alert*

I had bought some of these worms from Walmart recently, and the entire batch died within 2 days. The dirt had this strong moldy smell; I expect they were packed with dirt that was too moist.

I prefer to buy my worms from a local bait shop, but they've been out.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

I get worms from Walmart almost every week, some batches are better than others, but I haven't had any major problems that I noticed. I feed them to my box turtles and garters as a treat.

I purchased a bulk 500 worm container from DMF Bait on 7/20/12 and they all seem fine. No different from any others I purchased.
    I have found that it can be hit or miss sometimes with the worms at Walmart. I always pop the lid off and inspect them dead worms or any mold.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

You get worms from a supermarket!?
    Will

I've been getting my worms at a local sporting goods store. They check the worms to make sure they're in good shape before ringing you up. The worms are raised in Montana and they always last great.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Not laying blame in any particular lap. Just giving a heads up as I know many here have mentioned purchasing from w.m. on occasion.

No mold. Worms were alive and moving, not limp but not very lively- i've seen and fed worse looking before.
    Never had dysentery like this tho.
    I hope it is an isolated instance of bad handling, but wanted to give all a heads-up.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

One of the problems I notice with Walmart worms is that they package them in cardboard. Now, since they keep them in a fridge, there is always the possibility that the cardboard absorbs additional humidity from the air once it's out of the fridge, in much the same way that a sody pop can dews up. If that additional moisture gets into the worm dirt, it can kill the worms.

That's why I prefer the bait shop worms. They pack theirs in Styrofoam. This helps to keep the worms at a more consistent temp when transferring them from the fridge to the snake room, keeping them at a lower temperature for much longer. And it keeps the excess moisture to a minimum. Plus, if you save the worm containers, you can find uses for them, whereas the cardboard containers pretty much have to go straight in the trash.

Now, the bait shop worms are the same price as the Walmart worms (or close enough, anyway). You get only 18 instead of 20, but what's two extra nightcrawlers? Besides, I see it as an opportunity to support a locally-owned business rather than the big chain store. Unfortunately, they run out much more frequently. And I have to keep reminding the person selling them that Red Wigglers are not the same thing, that they are toxic, and that I cannot use them for my snakes. But then again, Walmart typically doesn't have anyone there to pick them out for me.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Adult snake

The packaging must be either regional or by supplier. My local Walmart gets large shipments of live bait and they all come in plastic containers. I've not had any problems with them but I've only fed them to my adult vagrans a few times. They'll live for 2 months in the refrigerator but they're not that lively past 3 weeks or so. I primarily use them for bait so I need them to wiggle
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

We get walmart worms and haven't noticed any issues. I prefer them over the fred meyer worms because walmart packs then in dirt and fred meyer does a paper mix.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla