"First shed, A Success"

Just for fun: which species next?

I know this is all about personal taste, but I’m still curious about your opinions.

I have one erythristic flame eastern and one normal radix garter. I’m thinking of adding one garter this year, which could be my last simply due to my preference in terms of the number of pets under my care. There’s a very rare possibility that I would add two new garters.

What are your thoughts on the species on my list of possible additions? I’m interested in a species that is good at cohabitation and is generally docile. It’d be female like my others.

1/ T. Infernalis
    2/ T. Concinnus
    3/ T. Marcianus
    4/ T. Sirtalis Similis
    5/ Any melanistic

Thanks!

Never shed

Re: Just for fun: which species next?

Infernalis are not known to be docile in general. But I believe concinnus are. Marcianus are known to be good too, although my male is he exception to the rule. A melanistic eastern is possible, especially if you’re looking to breed in the future.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Infernalis are not known to be docile in general. But I believe concinnus are. Marcianus are known to be good too, although my male is he exception to the rule. A melanistic eastern is possible, especially if you’re looking to breed in the future.
    Thanks for the input. It’s always good to hear from people with firsthand experience. They all seem great in their own ways, but I have to limit myself.

T. radix females are awesome. I may be a bit bias.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

My infernalis is a bit of a nut and nowhere as nice as my radix but she makes up for it by being an absolute stunner.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    T. radix females are awesome. I may be a bit bias.
    My radix is very calm in her tank when I reach in to get her, and is also calm in-hand. She’s great. The paradoxical thing is that she hides a lot more than my eastern and doesn’t like to be out and about in her cage.

My eastern, on the other hand, is very active in her tank and is super curious about watching me. She pokes her head out of her hides and humid box to watch me. But she gets very flighty and skittish when I open her tank and reach in. She’s pretty docile once I get her out, though.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty3159 View Post
    My infernalis is a bit of a nut and nowhere as nice as my radix but she makes up for it by being an absolute stunner.
    Thanks for the insight. That’s what I’ve read, but I love their look as well. I’m wondering if I get one, if it’ll be calmer if it’s living with my other two.

"Third shed In Progress"

Similis and Infernalis can both be pretty wild, Infernalis in particular are often crazy although adult females can tame down quite a lot. My adult females are all very tame now but it took them 2 years, males still spazzes.

Melanistic easterns are generally very tame as are concinnus and marcianus.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Zdravko092368 View Post
    Similis and Infernalis can both be pretty wild, Infernalis in particular are often crazy although adult females can tame down quite a lot. My adult females are all very tame now but it took them 2 years, males still spazzes.

Melanistic easterns are generally very tame as are concinnus and marcianus.

Thank you for the great feedback! Really appreciate it.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I am expecting a marcianus to arrive on Wednesday (my first garter snake) and am waiting for a sirtalis pickeringii to be born, crossing two off my wish list. In the meantime I am running the cage to make sure humidity and temperatures are OK.