Thread: My First Escape

Never shed

My First Escape

So today I got home to discover my girl managed to escape her cage. Fortunately, she was hiding under the extra bags of substrate I keep in the stand under the cage, so I was able to put her back where she belonged.

She's in a Zilla 10 gallon Critter Cage, which has a problem:

IMG_1067[1].JPG

As you can see, there's a small gap because the framework for the lid wasn't seated properly. I'd been holding the gap closed with some decently-heavy wire threaded through the hole for the padlock, but I'm no longer confident that will be enough to prevent future escapes. I'm pretty sure this is how she got out. There's small holes in the back of the lid to run wiring through for the heat and humidity probes, but there's wires IN the holes that pretty nicely fill them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fix short of just getting a whole new tank with a different lid?

Re: My First Escape

They sell adhesive-backed foam door and window insulation. Just be sure you cut it to fit the width which won't allow any adhesive to get caught on the snake.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Re: My First Escape

God dammit! I thought I had everything secured but she got out AGAIN, and this time she wasn't where I found her the last time. She was in her cage this morning when I left for work, but I have no idea WHERE she could be in my apartment, now (GOD I hope she didn't make it into my closet, I'll NEVER find her in there). Is there anything I can do to lure her out?