Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

The kiss of doom: Lady and the tramp style!

I've heard some say worms aren't adequate nutrition, and some say that they harbor nasty parasites, but the biggest issue I've had with them is having to break up these adorably gluttonous encounters.lol

VIDEO0053_01_0000002809_1.jpg

Re: The kiss of doom: Lady and the tramp style!

My wild T.radix live almost entirely on night crawlers. They grow big and strong here. Anytime you feed wild caught food you run the risk of parasites. I don't think the risk is as high as with other foods.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Yeah, I don't think it's as serious as some people think. In fact, I don't think parasites in general are usually as serious as people think. It's true that if parasite load exceeds a certain threshold, or the animals immune system is compromised an animal could die...but I think there are a huge amount of wild animals that live just fine with parasites. A symbiotic relationship of sorts. And my garters are only offered rodents a couple times a year(when gravid and a couple months before brumation) and my biggest girl is over 3 feet on a worm diet.

Never shed

* If parasites aren't a problem, why don't we all just get wild caught? Or why did they kill my snake? I stand behind what I said. They aren't always, or probably not even usually fatal. But they kill snakes with compromised immune systems, or when they get out of hand. When you drag a wild animal out of its cozy home in nature and back to your cave, you stress it out. That suppresses it's immune system. Even if you're gentle and kind, you scare the crap outta them. Perspective: they are small. Imagine walking along and you're suddenly picked up by the statue of liberty. She spends half an hr gently turning you to and fro, then drops you in an unfamiliar place with no escape. Are you stressed out? I breed snakes, so naturally I'd say get a CB if possible. This is why. I just didn't want a bunch of you picking up wild snakes and responding "oh my snake died. But he said...." I have a feeling my foot in mouth disclaimers will become famous on here.lol

There is nothing wrong with what you said. They are stressed but soon learn that they are safe and getting food/water. There are some wild-caught that don't settle in, I've had a few of those. They went right back out into my back yard. Captive infected animals can easily infect other, people included. Best to treat when you know they are infected.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

I definitely agree. It doesn't take them long to adjust. They're pretty resilient creatures. I just added that disclaimer to cover both sides of the same coin. I have the same policy as you do. Most find that it is much better to be taken care of, I believe. It's got to be nice having consistent food and water, and not running for their lives from hawks, owls, and house cats.lol I just figured some people probably had experience with an animal dying of parasites and I wanted to give a possible reason for why. Especially since I had just said the risks were overblown, to some degree. Snakes carry many bacteria and protozoa that their immune systems keep at bay. If they adjust with in the first few weeks, they're usually fine for years in my experience. Just covering my bases. It wouldn't take me long to realize that the statue of liberty was my pal if she dropped me in a mansion and gave me pizza.lol Another disclaimer: that was an analogy. Don't give your snakes pizza!

Never shed

Oh, and I finally got around to checking out your YouTube channel. Tank is one of the most incredible common snappers I've ever seen. He's gator snapper sized! And just awesome. Congrats on raising a true monster with a house cat personality. I said that on here instead of in a pm so if someone reads this comment they'll get to check him out. He's just...just very cool.

Never shed

Hey Steve, maybe not the right place to ask but, how old do you suppose tank is?
    Last edited by Just CL; 09-17-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Tank will be 12 on the 28th of this month.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Happy birthday Tank! Hey Steve, hoping all is well and it’s nice to be back!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.