Exclamation Finding Lost Threads.

Guys,

Over the past few days/week I have received quite a few member PMs regarding how difficult it is, after a couple of days, to find threads that were of interest, because of the increased post rate, and asking me if there is some way we can make site navigation easier.

That's a hard one! I'd love to help but the forum is growing fast and the post rate is increasing all the time... and that's a good thing!

I need to give it some thought, but for now all I can suggest is that we all maybe help to keep things simple and uncluttered. Perhaps rather than starting a new thread, there is one already on the portal page into which your post/topic will fit? For example (no criticism intended) we at present have three live threads all about 'Flames'...... could these be merged into one? I know you guys like to start your own threads, I do too. It's just one idea.
    Another useful change might be if we make the title of our new threads simpler, more descriptive and easier to remember, so that if we do need to search for a thread, we can remember what it was called.

I'll be honest, I doubt there is much we can do about it.... we are a very active forum these days.... so threads are pushed down the portal page quickly. But if anyone has any good, workable ideas for making older stuff easy to find, let's hear them!
    James.

Re: Finding Lost Threads.

Nice point James, very nice point

My first suggestion would be that we core users, the ones who are on every day set a positive example. New users tend to follow the style of what is currently going on.

We could start one thread "sticky" R.I.P. fallen friends and whenever a pet passes on, we post it there, and there only.

Or a "fantastically fab flame thread, merge all the flame chat to one thread.

How about a "happy dance" thread where all new arrivals are discussed. We already have one, OMG its time to happy dance, that is wide open for anyone to post about a new arrival. that would reduce a ton of clutter right there.

Another edit, a clearer title, New snakes thread....

really it would only take a few threads to express a lot of what is currently discussed.

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

I think its really important to keep good and clear titles.
    I know some forums have subtitles, which can also be used for the information stuff if you like to use and cool title...
    www.facebook.com/crazyreptiles
    welcome ( at ) crazyreptiles . eu

Good idea, James and some good input from you too Wayne.

It will definately take time to "reshape" the way all of us post here. In the mean time don't forget the drow-down search box on the tool bar at the top of the page. It often helps me find things much quicker.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

"First shed In Progress" larean's Avatar

I don't know if it's possible, but couldn't the search option be specified? For example, when I want to find a photo contest thread, I also get threads where only the word 'photo' is used, which in this case isn't a great obstacle in finding what I want, but you get my point. I think it would be handier if the distinction between the titel of the thread and all the posts of the thread was made.

Just my experience.
    Christiaan

Excellent point, Christiaan. Often I have typed the exact thread title into the search box, only to be presented with pages of options. I'll find out whether or not the search function can be improved upon.
    James.

Have you tried the Advanced Search?

Or did I completely misunderstand what you're looking for? Anyway, something I'd like to see, is fewer and more descriptive titles.

Just to throw another argument to the discussion:
    This will produce some more long threads like "Itīs so quiet..." that are really hard to search within and its absolutly unpossible to follow them after only a few days break.
    On the other hand we īll maybe loose doubble posting in different threads?
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

I don't mind long threads at all, it's more important to me to find the right thread.

I notice some fine mergings already.. woo hoo Nice