Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Red Spotted Garter Snake

Around the Eugene, Oregon area, the tendency is toward very intense, brightly colored snakes:

Banned

Quoted from another thread regarding brightly colored T.s. concinnus'

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    Amazing photos! Seems to me these subjects would be easy to spot with their colors. Our Easterns blend in nicely with their surroundings and are very difficult to see
    Well, believe it or not, even the very bright and vivid colored concinnus' blend in and are difficult to spot when they are in vegetation and sitting still. Don't ask me how this is possible, but it's true. In spite of the bright orange, red, yellow, etc... They do blend in and are difficult to spot until they move.

If they are moving very fast, the colors, and especially the spots/stripe in combination, trick your eye. If you were to grab for one that is moving, the trickery causes you to grab behind their actual location, missing them as they escape. The trick then, for a successful capture, is to grab where they appear to be headed, rather than grab where they appear to be.

Banned

It has been all but confirmed that this anerythristic morph is a codominant (or incomplete dominant) trait like I suspected. One of these "green" anery's from NW Oregon made it to Europe some years ago and was bred to normals. Greg M. (Gregmonsta) owns one of the offspring, Xerxes. The snake started out normal looking but faded to hypoerythristic as it matured. Furthermore, I know someone in Oregon that has also bred a pair of hypoerythristic snakes from that area (now we know the hypos are codominant anery hets) and got some normal looking babies, but also got a lot of fully anery babies. There are plenty of perfectly normal adults in the area too so it stands to reason that some fully anery's mated with fully normal snakes and the results are offspring that are hypoerythristic as adults.

"green" anery. Can actually vary, some are blue or blue/green in varying intensity.

This hypoerythristic male as it turns out, is likely the result of anery X normal breeding and since the anery trait is codominant, he turned out to be something in between a normal and an anery. He is actually an anery het and with a codominant trait, you can tell the hets from normals.

So, theoretically, if I were to breed two of these hypoerythristic snakes (not all that spectacular looking themselves) they would produce some offspring that were fully anery.

Banned

Same snake as above: What I find really very interesting is that this male has the same mark as Xerxes. He has an "X" on his side in almost the same location as Xerxes! And it's not the first time I've seen that on snakes from that area of Oregon. It could be a trait associated with the anery genes since the "X" is found on mostly hypoery's or anerys. OK, I admit, that's a stretch. That brightly colored snake above from Eugene has the "X" too.

Awesome looking snakes.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

Who has the blue anery red spotted?

Banned

You mean this? That would be me.

Banned

Disregard. I didn't mean to post here.

"Third shed, A Success" sirtalis01's Avatar

That would be me know lol....I have a beautiful 2.1 that will breed next spring.......
    Thanks Richard
    Last edited by sirtalis01; 09-30-2011 at 07:35 AM.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Dude if you produce any blue babies and don't send them to me.....That's awesome. I really want some. Good luck with breeding them!