Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Force Feeding

Re: Force Feeding

now why does that bring the term bulimia to my mind?
    I think having stuffed something down one's throat seems about as pleasant as upchucking it
    something about the chicken . . .
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Second shed, A Success"

I reread the chapter and it was a 19 foot reticulated python. They forced fed it for 20 years and it was a mixture of ground rabbit and horsemeat (although I'm sure a chicken or two proabaly made it into the mix as well) about 13 pounds at a feeding. he didn't say how often the fed it. They had crowds of up to 3000 people watching the feedings at times. After one such feeding Marlin recalled a conversation between zoo patrons looking at the snake in its enclosure "Man, thats one big snake right there" the first one said. "that's not a real snake" the second one said "I just saw them blowing it up a little while ago"

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

he he he now that did make me laugh!

i personally feel if the snake is not eating food then the owner should look into as why and only use force feeding to prolong your research time.

I think, if you read back through this thread, you will find that is the general consensus of us all.
    James.

i have a question about this i just got a baby garter snake a week ago and since i got him he hasn't eaten at all! i bought 160 worth of things for him everything he would need (hiding places, water bowl, sticks, vitamins, heat lamp, etc) and i bout worms and crickets to feed him since he is so small. i live him in his feeding box (a small plastic container with a heating pad) and leave them in there and he wont eat them still. i cut the worms up small enough for him to eat but he just dosent show interest. im getting scared its been 8 days now and he seems fine basks all the time drinks his water but just wont eat!! i dont want him to die so is anyone aware of this and can help me out and tell me wht im doing or not doing right??? ill be buying pinkie parts very soon! i hear there better for them.

He does not need to be force fed. Leave him alone for a week and let him get used to you. They can last a long time without food and he's a baby. Babies often will not eat until 2-3 weeks after they are born and if you stress them out enough they wont eat for longer. Ditch the crickets, garter snakes never, ever eat crickets.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Juvenile snake

Agreed, lose the crickets, and give fish a try, but most importantly, be patient.

Banned

In case you were thinking about force feeding, forget it. Your little northwestern wouldn't be able to handle that. He's way too small. The trauma and possible injury in such an effort would be more harmful than not eating. Personally, I feel that by the time a situation warrants force-feeding, it's time to think about euthanasia. I don't do force feeding except under certain rare circumstances.

There's still time nicole, try to be patient. your little one looks OK, body-mass wise. He's not too starved just yet. Snakes can go a long time without food.