Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Striped Keelback/ "Indonesian Garters"

my animals go to the vet as soon as i get them - sometimes before
    don't even wait until something pops up - be proactive
    the set-up is just like a garter set-up, except for the larger water bowl, and a permanent damp hide, otherwise they tend a little toward shedding trouble
    i don't have mine - he's with a friend who lives a couple of blocks away
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Never shed

There's some good news for me: I'm sorry for your snake, but mine is very active and only hides when i come in the room. I've come home from school and I'll see him all the way towards the top of my cage, but he ditched when I came in and poked his head out until I left..much like normal garters, or at least the ones I've had.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

I think we will be dealing with this topic for years to come!

I do not in any way claim to be an expert on these guys but I will tell you what has so far worked for me and the snake that was given to me by someone that bought it from Petco.

First thing is if you are really looking to keep this guy alive you should with out a doubt take him to the vet. If you put up enough stink at your Petco there is a very slim chance they way help with the cost so I recommend you look into that and be relentless about it.

Second is to give it a lot of ground cover and hide boxes and keep part of the substrate moist, not wet but moist. It will also need a dry spot, mine is under the heat lamp.

Third is you need to keep the average temp high, right around 80F. The cool end should be a few degrees cooler, under the lamp a few degrees higher. Don't let either end get too hot or too cold, they come from a part of the world with few extremes. Let them use the substrate to thermoregulate keep the air temp as steady as possible.

for feeding I put a live fish (I use a Guppy) in the bowl and a f/t pinkie. The fish is mostly to catch the snakes attention, 95% of the time it gets the pinkie first and I am able to put the guppy back in the aquarium for the next round.

That is my suggestion. I have had mine for over six months now and seems to be doing well. Keep at it and research as much as you can, it may be the difference between life and death depending on the current state of the snake.

I hope this has helped a little bit.

-Thomas

Very glad to hear you are having good luck with the snake. I think they are beautiful and would jump at the chance to have one. Your advice about a Vet. visit is important and needed for these guys. Thanks for sharing your words and pictures.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Not saying it's going to die, just that most of them do. I had a female who was doing WONDERFUL. She was active, ate like a pig, had good weight, the picture perfect snake. So one day i go to feed her, and she's belly up. I have had similar expieriences with every other striped keelback I've ever acquired. I'll keep trying because I like the species... good luck to you!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

TwistidMutations

Petco doesn't have a breeder for keelbacks or "indo garters" they are imported. thats why they havn't got back to you,and there not treated. i know the guy that imports there c.b.b ball pythons he also brings the keelbacks to the petcos east of the misississippi river he might even do the rest i dont know about that but do know that thats one of the things he imports for them.so as far as a vet if you cant get to /find a reptile vet go to a feed store and pick up some liquid flagil it will help with internal parisites.thats about all the advice i can give on this species.But very nice snakes i wish i knew more about them

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

good luck! pretty snake hope it does well for you check out the articles tab, there is a garter snake care sheet, keelbacks work in quite similar conditions
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat