Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi Im new

Banned

Re: Hi Im new

Whatever it is, it makes people over there talk funny lol. In America, "tidy" means organized / clean/sanitary. That's something garters definitely are not lol

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Whatever it is, it makes people over there talk funny lol. In America, "tidy" means organized / clean/sanitary. That's something garters definitely are not lol
    What does the word "neat" mean over there?

I use tidy in the normal sense but also to describe something as good . Where I live English has only been spoken for about 50 years so its bound to be a bit "funny"
    Will

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    What does the word "neat" mean over there?
    Depends on how it's used in a sentence but I see your point. Tidy is used literally while "neat" or "cool" is sometimes used figuratively as in to describe something that is desirable such as in this case, garter snakes. "Neat" is interchangeable with "tidy" to describe something organized/clean but I've never heard "tidy" used figuratively like he did there so from my point of view it just seemed odd. Not too many people even use "tidy" literally. "neat" or "organized" seems to be preferred.

Seems odd to me too when you guys say "pissed" to describe a drunk person. Over here it means "angry".

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    I use tidy in the normal sense but also to describe something as good . Where I live English has only been spoken for about 50 years so its bound to be a bit "funny"
    It's actually not though. I do realize that it's Americans that are the ones that talk "funny" especially in the deep south. Oh, and then there's Appalachian English which totally foreign to me.

when you guys
    Finns?

Banned

Not necessarily. Probably not. When I say "you guys" I really meant people on the other side of the pond that speak English but I haven't "heard you talk funny" Stefan. And really it's not half as bad as some of the regional dialects right here in America. An Englishman I can understand but those mountain men and texans... jeez, hard to understand.

There are actually people that talk like this here

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

There's some argument (according to the wife when she was doing her English degree module on dialects) that Americans speak a purer form of English when it's compared to "old English". English in the UK has evolved and been altered by immigration from the Empire, then Commonwealth countries, where English in one form or another is spoken.
    If you want to hear weird spoken language you need to listen to people speaking speaking in Hindi and other Indian languages. When there isn't a word in that language to describe something they default to English, but just for that word or phrase. Sounds very odd.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! just to let you know garters are very addicting! I sarted with 2 and have around 150 now!
    Bluesirtalis