Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Never shed

Re: New litter of Easterns (WC)

Heres the last few good pics I have of the adults.
    gang 2.jpggang.jpg

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

The really orange ones are nice!
    Bluesirtalis

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

I live in MA two, what area are you in?
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

Never shed

Essex County. I catch some of mine in an area between Harold Parker and Boxford State forests. In fact one locations (different from where the snakes I posted were caught) is in the North Andover side of Boxford State Forest. Garters, ribbons, milks, waters, racers, blandings turtles, theyre all there. The place I caught the snakes I posted was near a "dump" for compost and leaves and such in North Andover in northeastern MA.

That's funny I'm also in Essex county I might have to try some of these spots out.

Very nice looking girls you got there. congrats with the scrubs

Wow...a litter of 60! I have heard of easterns popping out litters that large but...wow. My eastern female had a litter of 30 twice...the first time they were all stillborn, the second time all but three were stillborn...then she had 30 jellies this year. Were all 60 scrubs born live?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Never shed

Well, I didn't count but there were at least 60. It might have been two litters though cause 2 of the females looked thinner. One female was bigger so I was thinking one had 20ish one had 40ish. Is that normal? For several females to have litters within 24 hours of each other? Cause there were more the next day from the third female, which had about 10 but were slightly bigger neonates. There were maybe 5 still borns in total between 3, possibly 4 (one really small female) snakes. Only 1 of the neonates died a couple days later, before I put water in the tank, possibly from dehydration. The 12 I have now are doing well and eat almost everyday the last five days or so.

And Snake Man, I'm quite territorial about my spots but I figure if you're on a snake forum you're one of the few people I'd tell lol, since I know you'll be good to them. I'll try and post a map of exactly where they are, but one hot spot is near a quarry in North Andover at the end of Sharpner's Pond Rd. The spot with the red ones is near the soccer fields/compost site off the same road. At the quarry there is an area surrounded by young pine trees that is about an acre of rocky vernal pools. On a good day between April and early June you can find 15-20 adult snakes of various species. Some days you'll see 2 or 3 4-5 ft racers that climb up the pine trees when theyre spooked. Another spot nearby I've seen a group of 20 or so male garters congregating near a hole just after hibernation in March.
    florida king, northern pine, bull snake, 4 bull/pines, 12 neonate eastern garters

I know we have discussed on here the possibility of females in close proximity triggering one another's hormones. I would think that it makes sense for them to give birth around the same time like that. Sorry about the stillborns and the little one that died...but it sounds like you have quite a few babies on your hands! Good luck with all of them!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I would just use them to look no keepies . Thank you for sharing.