Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: garter food

Re: garter food

guess I left off the part about the vitamin supplements..... they aren't taking the salmon with vitamin powder on it real well. Charles Parenteau uses it with his snakes....no bones and stuff to digest, digests quicker so they can be fed more often and grow faster. I am still a fan of rodents for them...that diet has worked will for Scott Felzer for years..... will also have a couple holdbacks this year and feed them on this diet and see how they do! will have to keep everyone posted

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Yessir,well done !Better to cut in pieces before its frozen still better with cake decorating gun...only because garter snake prefer round piece rater than square.Take it easier..you better makes small quantity ,because of the snow inside the zipploc,it don't seems to matter to much.

When Phil Blais give me this recipe almost 10 years ago ,B1 vitamin was the only supplement to add...I Saw the original recipe and never talk about supplement.Few month ago Phil told me to add beta caroten and calcium ...I know hes A good friend Of Alan Francis Both are doctor they really know what garter need.

In few weeks you will see the difference between your snake.
    Keep feeding some snake with rodent and other with this mixture.
    Dr blais tell me what it all about and show me the difference between individual.You never notice but many problem occur on your snake only because of their diet.
    Since my start with gartersnake I only keep 3 wildcaught female that I didnt release into wild,and I convert them to rodent without any trouble...they all died from unexpected illness same thing happen to Phil.
    Wc snake should be feed only with this mixture or what they eat in the wild.Its more evident on wildcaught snake.
    Captive born specimen are more tolerant on rodent cuz they are use to.at least altern with fish or whatever they eat...
    Don your big melanistic will probably take a few more inche with more girth.Im glad you try it...

would love to see a couple more inches on the melanistic!!!!! she is 43" now!!!!!

Hi, I'm New Here!

is the a stable diet or would they need anything else if fed on this?

im going to be trying this just picked up a package of geletin and i agree with anji on the snakes not liking the vitamin and calcium powder because mine wont grab the food from the end dipped in it so this will be a welcome change unfortunatly for me i dont hae a food processor or a blender so i will have to do this by hand and my question is did you guys add any water to it or just let the natural moisture in the salmon be the dissolvant for the geletin
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

Quote Originally Posted by snakelover View Post
    is the a stable diet or would they need anything else if fed on this?
    this should be a stable diet because it has all the essential nutrients they need including a ton of protein which will make them bigger and not fat
    ~~~Kevin~~~

gonna be tough grinding the fish by hand...you need to mix the gelatin with hot or boiling water and mix with the fish and vitamins in the blender....if you are grinding the fish by hand...good luck, gotta get totally mushed and thoroughly blended with the gelatin mix....grind the fish before starting with the gelatin, or you will have a cup of clear jello and won't get the mess to stay together.....try using a mixer.....with the 2 beaters used for making cakes....that might work to

thats what i was planning on doing im problably going to toss the rest of my frozen salmon into some warm water to tham then turn on the beater cuz i have one of those but i might have to dump some out and mash is with a fork
    how much water did you add to the gelatin ?
    the amount it said on the package?
    ~~~Kevin~~~

for 1 pound of salmon i used 1 1/2 pkts of gelatin and 2/3 cup boiling water

i think i have a little less than a lb of salmon so ill just use one packet and a 1/4 cup of water then
    ~~~Kevin~~~