Page 718 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 2186186687087167177187197207287688181218 ... LastLast
Results 7,171 to 7,180 of 14098
    Banned

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

Yeah, that's a slight dusting you got there.

Coincidentally, I just watched the forecast and it calls for a little snow on the Valley floor (Willamette Valley) and Portland metro area tomorrow night and Wednesday. Possibly a whole inch!

The news kept saying there would be snow in my area a couple days before christmas, one said to expect 12 inches... We got rain.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

So far they've been spot on when forecasting snow for Portland this year, even the amounts and elevations where it will stick. Low elevation snow is tricky to predict. It only takes half a degree temperature difference or an hour or two difference in the timing of moisture+cold air to make a huge difference in the amounts that fall and if it's rain or snow. The highly experienced local meterologists are pretty good at it. The national weather service sucks at it. I remember a big storm in this area in 1979. National weather service called for "a slight chance of flurries" We got over a foot accumulation overnight.

The local weather guys expect brief accumulation of up to an inch during the heaviest part of the storm (starting around 3am) on Wed, sticking snow above 1,000 feet for sure, but they seem pretty darn confident that Portland will see snow falling for much of the day on Wed, and not rain. Shouldn't be a problem since we will stay above freezing.

I like snow just fine when it doesn't shut down the city and doesn't last very long.

this is what our street looks like today
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Banned

Looks like a great day to go for a drive.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed, A Success" HazAnga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I remember a big storm in this area in 1979. National weather service called for "a slight chance of flurries" We got over a foot accumulation overnight.
    you call a foot of snow overnight a "big storm"... now we once got 3+ feet of snow overnight and when i mean + i mean some places got more then 4 feet, just depending on what part of the city you were in. That storm shut down the city, and we got 3-4 feet of snow within 2 days and then more fell later in the week and then again the beginning of the following week... so probably around 5-6 feet total in a week and a half.

And then i heard of a airport in Europe that has a few inches of snow and it's delaying flights into the new year... CALL THE ARMY IN TO HELP CLEAR THE SNOW!!!
    Call me Nick
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Bo)
    http://forestcitycorns.webs.com/

Impressive. Our streets never get that bad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HazAnga View Post
    you call a foot of snow overnight a "big storm"

It is, considering that I'm at about 50 feet elevation, close to the Pacific, and sticking snow is not something we get very often. That foot of snow fell in about 8 hours. This isn't Canada, it isn't the midwest, and it's not the mountains. We can go several years without seeing a single snowflake. A few inches is a big deal, much less a foot.

So, as you can imagine, the 17 inches we got two years ago broke all-time records. Anything 12 inches or deeper is something that has happened only a few times since the 1970's.

You guys up there might be used to it, but a foot of snow on the beach isn't something that happens very often around here.

"Third shed, A Success" HazAnga's Avatar

lol too bad... although some people (the wife) would love not to see any snow even if it was for a whole year lol
    Call me Nick
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Bo)
    http://forestcitycorns.webs.com/