Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

None feeding garter

Hi,
    Yet again my san fransisco garter has stopped eating, I am really beginning to get worried as she hasn't eaten in around a month and this is the second time in quite a short space of time that she's refusing to eat. She is about 9-10 months old at the moment. I've tried everything I can think of, various types of safe fish, earthworms scented and unscented, scented and unscented pinkies, leaving the food in her hide during the night, leaving if dotted around the tank for her and wiggling the food in front of her to try and incite her to eat. I've also tried putting slices of fish in her water bowl with small aquarium pump to make the fish move around a bit.

The only idea I have left is trying her with feeder guppies but I'm really struggling to find them around here, I've been into my local aquatic shops but neither had feeder guppies and the tanks weren't well kept so I worried about feeding their fancy guppies to her. She does show some interest in the food, when ever I put anything near her, her tongue starts going ten to the dozen and she goes up really close to it then all of a sudden it's like she just completely loses interest and moves away. Apart from this she seems completely fine, she's always active and looks well.

At the moment she's in a fair sized tank with UV light above her which is on for around 16 hours a day, it has a hot end of about 80°F with the top of her branch at around 84°F (where she spends a fair bit of her time) and this is heated with a reflector bulb. The cool end is around 72°F. Here's a pic of her current set up:

I would really appreciate it if you could give me any advice on how I could encourage her to start eating again.

Re: None feeding garter

Scott,
    Have you been checking he weight? If she's not losing large amounts and her attitude is good I wouldn't worry too much.
    Parasite check?
    She may just be going through one of those times. I
    have radixes do it from time to time.
    Keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For Second shed"

I have a plains garter that can be a pain to eat at times he goes off food for a month if not more,

Same thing he shows interest in food then turns away from it

My albino checkered is also that way at times

Crazy how they do that, it used to worry my mother who was looking after my garters while I was in university.

I think as said already if they don't loose weight or condition they are ok

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Hi,
    Is your snake normally interested in fish? When mine was younger, he loved feeder guppies and then as he got larger (about a year old) suddenly would lose interest in them for long periods of time. We switched to bait minnows (this was before I knew about some fish being dangerous for garters! We just got lucky that these were apparently a good species) which he ate well because of their larger size.
    Also, it was around this time when he would start to go longer without eating, so like other people have said, if she isn't losing weight you probably shouldn't worry.

Good luck getting her to eat!!

Never shed

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Scott,
    Have you been checking he weight? If she's not losing large amounts and her attitude is good I wouldn't worry too much.
    Parasite check?
    She may just be going through one of those times. I
    have radixes do it from time to time.
    Keep us posted.
    I try to weigh her as much as possible, I don't do it regularly cause she really doesn't like handling and I don't wont to stress her. From the times I've weighed her she hasn't lost much weigh at all and visually she seems to be in good proportion.

I might get a parasite check for her, I have another animal that's in quarantine at the moment who's needing one so I might as well get it done at the same time.

I hope she is, it just worries me that she's still so young? I've heard it's very unusual for a garter under a year to go of eating?

Will do, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by zirliz View Post
    I have a plains garter that can be a pain to eat at times he goes off food for a month if not more,

Same thing he shows interest in food then turns away from it

My albino checkered is also that way at times

Crazy how they do that, it used to worry my mother who was looking after my garters while I was in university.

I think as said already if they don't loose weight or condition they are ok
    Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one then. This has really relieved me, I've really started to stress thinking I'm doing something wrong with her.

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Hi,
    Is your snake normally interested in fish? When mine was younger, he loved feeder guppies and then as he got larger (about a year old) suddenly would lose interest in them for long periods of time. We switched to bait minnows (this was before I knew about some fish being dangerous for garters! We just got lucky that these were apparently a good species) which he ate well because of their larger size.
    Also, it was around this time when he would start to go longer without eating, so like other people have said, if she isn't losing weight you probably shouldn't worry.

Good luck getting her to eat!!
    Yeah she used to happily take sliced trout/salmon, along with earthworms. That's something to think about, I'll try and give her slightly bigger prey items and see if that encourages her. That's reassuring, I feel a lot better now, I've been really worrying.

Cheers, hope she starts eating again soon.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Another thing you could try is putting her in a plastic container with her favorite food and put in a dark place for a few hours sometimes that works.
    Bluesirtalis

I agree with this.smaller enclosure,live food,and 12 hours of light.I would'nt use that enclosure until the snake is adult size.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Another thing you could try is putting her in a plastic container with her favorite food and put in a dark place for a few hours sometimes that works.

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

I've got two of my garters that do this they do it every year in spring. I just do the cup feeding method with an appropriate container for two or three feedings and then there back to normal.

Good luck
    Randy

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Thank, just tried that yesterday but she didn't take.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
    I agree with this.smaller enclosure,live food,and 12 hours of light.I would'nt use that enclosure until the snake is adult size.
    She's been in that enclosure for a good while now, and it was what got her eating again in the first place after she'd been in a smaller enclosure. She uses every inch of it and I'd be a shame to put her in a smaller enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by RdubSnider View Post
    I've got two of my garters that do this they do it every year in spring. I just do the cup feeding method with an appropriate container for two or three feedings and then there back to normal.

Good luck

Sorry for my ignorance but what's the cup feeding method?

SCOUSER

i remember seeing a method put forward on the kingsnake site i think, which was to withhold water for about three days,and then provide the water and the food as well, they were claiming a high success rate.
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.