Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Size after one year?

Hi,

I just got my first garter snake (T.s.s.) a few days ago and I managed to measure her today. I was just wondering, as it is a female, if the size of 25cm (ca. 10 inches) is normal after almost a year. She seems to be a bit small, even though she looks incredibly healty and everything.
    Maybe you have some numbers for your one year olds, it would help be a lot.
    Also, is there something that might help her grow a little bit? She already eats mostly rodents, even though she barely seems to manage half a baby mouse. After a third of it she was already full and I could see a small bulge when she had swalloed it, which I was told is the sign that it was enough.

Thank you

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Re: Size after one year?

Are you sure its a female?
    Dan

Hi, I'm New Here!

I was also concerned about that, but the breeder has very high experience and said it was 99% chance to be female. Would it help to post photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I'm New Here!

Some laterals
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Looks like a female to me but please wait for a more experienced opinion. Some just grow faster than others but she doesnt seem too tiny she should be able to eat a whole pinky at least a smaller one.
    Dan

No doubt, FEMALE.
    10 inches seem a bit small for that subspecies at 1 year.
    All you can do is start from right now and see how it goes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you both a lot, for a second I really panicked over the whole gender thing, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

What, apart from feeding her mice as much as I can, can I do to increase the growth? She does not seem to be a big eater.. I will try to get some worms and see if she likes those better to mix them with the mice, maybe it will help..

Also- I got offered another female (t s infernalis) from another breeder which is also from 2013. The only problem is- the difference could not be more severe! One snake with 25cm versus one that I have been told already almost measures 70cm! Is that even possible after a year?
    Is there any chance that one day this difference will go down a bit so that they can be held together? Or should I rather go for a younger infernalis from this year that would presumably be almost her size...

Way small

Quote Originally Posted by Askyneedsclouds View Post
    Thank you both a lot, for a second I really panicked over the whole gender thing, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

What, apart from feeding her mice as much as I can, can I do to increase the growth? She does not seem to be a big eater.. I will try to get some worms and see if she likes those better to mix them with the mice, maybe it will help..

Also- I got offered another female (t s infernalis) from another breeder which is also from 2013. The only problem is- the difference could not be more severe! One snake with 25cm versus one that I have been told already almost measures 70cm! Is that even possible after a year?
    Is there any chance that one day this difference will go down a bit so that they can be held together? Or should I rather go for a younger infernalis from this year that would presumably be almost her size...
    Variety in food is best in my opinion. You can try to feed her up but she may just be a small one. Since she's not a big eater, smaller then normal might just be the norm for her. All you can do is try.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

And would there be a problem with socializing her with bigger snakes?