Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Subadult snake InsanePirateDragon's Avatar

40 gal Zilla tank: Good size for Garters?

Now when I was doing my pet food shopping I saw one of these that was marked down because of a crack. I didn't look at the crack so I don't know how bad it is, probably won't hold water but I wouldn't use it for that and I wasn't sure if it was the turtle tank, I can get another look at it over the weekend hopefully.

But is one of these big enough to house a few garters? I know its not what I wanted but it is half off so I might snatch it up instead.
    2.0.0 T. s. parietalis (Marley and Sully)
    One Ornate Box Turtle
    And one grumpy bitey Leopard Gecko

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Re: 40 gal Zilla tank: Good size for Garters?

40g should be LOTs big enough for a number of garters, yes.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Zilla's are made for reptiles and should *never* hold water. If it's a 40 gallon long, I'd say go for it.. but make sure the crack is sealed before puting any snakes in it.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

If it's the same as mine..I have a couple of the Zilla 20 gallons with the slide lock lids and I love them. I house 2 garters in each of my 20 gallons. Yeah...just make sure the crack is sealed up safely and go for it.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

Is it a 40 gallon breeder? Go for it!
    Joanne 0.1 T.radix Jade / 0.1 T.s.sirtalis Jett

Yeah it is and when I got there they were actually having a sale on some older 40 gal breeders that just needed lids for 30. No cracks, just needs a little cleaning.

So for 45 I got a new old tank and a lid!

Anyone want to make a drive to KS there's still a couple left...
    One Ornate Box Turtle

Great deal, was it a chain store? Maybe I should check out my local shops. I need more space. Everyone is getting so big.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

No its a local little shop unfortantly. They come highly recomended from me. Its called Go Lizards and the do make the reptile expo circuit in Ok, Iowa, and Minnasota.
    One Ornate Box Turtle

And here is the new house still working on cleaning with bleach and whatnot;

The next couple of days I'll be cleaning this bad boy out with bleach and cleaning out all the rocks. Apparently it housed baby alligators until they were able to make their gator room in the store where the babies aren't that much of babies anymore. Most of the gators come from rescues that they take in.

Now I do like how the back is painted, probably will give Marley a bit more security with that. I might take it off in the future and do my own background but

Bedding: something thats not to expensive and easy to spot clean and I can get a lot of, they have big bags of the reptibark that I use and prefer but I'm not sure how it would cost in the long run, I know the small bags are about $5 at where I buy it. I've tried reptile carpet in the past with Leos and wasn't very happy with it so thats out. And I'm not sure whats the safe mulch/woodchip that you can get from the hardware store.

Heating: They didn't have any UTH at the moment but they ordered one for me so it'll only be a couple of weeks so Marley might stay in the 10 gal until I get it or if gets warm around again. I intend to keep the light that Marley has now. I figure if I can make a basking platform so that is going to take a bit of playing around to find something .

Water dish: The plastic bottom of a flower pot, I have one thats a good size and deep enough for an adult to submerge if they want to.

Decor won't be too much of a problem, but I have been wanting to use real wood but I'm not sure whats safe or not and stones won't be too hard to find as there's plenty of limestone that might work. And I have a ft long segment of black PVC pipe that could make a nice hide once I clean it.

But my main problem is plants. Marley seems to love to weave and climb in the ones that she has but the dollar store doesn't have any bigger than what I have now.

And does anyone know what these things are;

They came with the tank as well as the rocks which I've washed and cleaned, don't know if they're snake safe or not. There's three of them and they have an opening at one end and this opening in the side. I don't know if they'll work as hides.
    One Ornate Box Turtle

Just a couple of concerns. Be very careful about outside time. Sun can heat the interior of an aquarium in an instant.
    If hides are small and not easily opened snakes will hide and refuse to come out. Then it becomes a battle, which can stress the snake and the owner.
    Nice size tank.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee