Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Picky eater; preference of where to get fish!

I also meant the same as Jesse. My reference was not meant towards frozen feeders such as silversides but frozen fish at supermarkets. I should have been more clear. As for the fresh fish, you are correct about risk of parasites. If you have a picky eater or babies trying to start eating and need fresh fish, I would prefer my stream to anything. I can buy at a pet store.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Just out of curiosity why do you prefer petsmart to petco? I'm not really a fan of either. All I know is I buy most of my stuff from Petco and I always want to pull my hair out afterwards (though I should thank them for letting me adopt a perfectly healthy, perfectly behaved BP for free because it had 'behavioral issues')
    I'm not a fan of either either. But all the petcos I've been to, especially the one near me, takes the worst care of their animals I've ever seen from a pet store. They have a green tree python right now, half dead and covered in mites with only a half log (no branch) in the cage. The two monitors both have mouth infections. They try to feed crickets to baby corn snakes. Nothing appears to ever be cleaned, water bowls are empty, humid tanks are dry, etc. I don't think one of their animals (and they have a large selection of animals compared to most petcos) is healthy. And they don't care.

One could say the same about petsmart but what petsmart does that petco doesn't do, is only stock particular animals. They don't bring in random animals like GTP's and monitors that they, nor the person who buys it can care for. In addition to that, with my petsmart at least, the employees actually care, at least enough to make an effort to care for them right. They take my suggestions/corrections and actually act on them. So I just prefer them. I can talk to their employees without wanting to break their face.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    I also meant the same as Jesse. My reference was not meant towards frozen feeders such as silversides but frozen fish at supermarkets. I should have been more clear. As for the fresh fish, you are correct about risk of parasites. If you have a picky eater or babies trying to start eating and need fresh fish, I would prefer my stream to anything. I can buy at a pet store.
    Sorry I misunderstood that (I thought I'd seen you talking about silversides and stuff before, so I was wondering where that was coming from!). Yeah, I wouldn't trust frozen supermarket stuff either.
    Ugh. I don't trust anything from local creeks around where I live-- Google the Eden, NC coal ash spill. If you didn't see it when it was on the news, several tons of arsenic and selenium waste got dumped into our river.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    I'm not a fan of either either. But all the petcos I've been to, especially the one near me, takes the worst care of their animals I've ever seen from a pet store. They have a green tree python right now, half dead and covered in mites with only a half log (no branch) in the cage. The two monitors both have mouth infections. They try to feed crickets to baby corn snakes. Nothing appears to ever be cleaned, water bowls are empty, humid tanks are dry, etc. I don't think one of their animals (and they have a large selection of animals compared to most petcos) is healthy. And they don't care.

One could say the same about petsmart but what petsmart does that petco doesn't do, is only stock particular animals. They don't bring in random animals like GTP's and monitors that they, nor the person who buys it can care for. In addition to that, with my petsmart at least, the employees actually care, at least enough to make an effort to care for them right. They take my suggestions/corrections and actually act on them. So I just prefer them. I can talk to their employees without wanting to break their face.
    Yeah, I've seen our petco bring in some really high-maintenance animals that no one buying from a chain petstore is going to be able to care for. When I'm looking for a new reptile and want to adopt one, I'll usually check out their adoptions though. The one near me has a board at the back where they basically post info on the reptiles they can't sell because they got sick from the crap conditions or bite (which is ridiculous; don't buy a snake if you can't deal with getting bitten). There's only one employee that works there who really seems to care about the animals, but it's clear they don't really give them the training to take care of them.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Never shed

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I am going to make a few calls tomorrow. I just got nervous because I have never had a snake under sub-adult, and decided I will mix fish/pinky instead of just scenting!

I'm watching a baseball game as I type this and the sponsor behind the plate is petco. Taunting me.

Quote Originally Posted by -b- View Post
    Thanks for all the input, everyone! I am going to make a few calls tomorrow. I just got nervous because I have never had a snake under sub-adult, and decided I will mix fish/pinky instead of just scenting!
    You can throw some worms in there too.

Never shed

I just might, next rain. Lots of safe pickins.

Never shed

Found some silver-sideds (Sally's brand, which I looked up and it says they are safe..).. he nipped at the pieces so far. :3 How long before I should start to worry about him not eating? Should I just watch behaviour and visibility of bones, etc?

They can go awhile without eating. I have babies that are now 10-11 weeks old and I have a few really small ones still. That's 11 weeks! They must have eaten something but are definitely on the teeny tiny side...
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Never shed

He ate!! I wanted to do cartwheels.. he ate! Yay!