Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hello! Thanks for having me - I'd love some recommendations on Garter species!

I thought we were talking about the legality of keeping T. s. infernalis? which in the end is the only law/code a keeper should be worried about? From a legal standpoint.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Hello! Thanks for having me - I'd love some recommendations on Garter species!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I thought we were talking about the legality of keeping T. s. infernalis? which in the end is the only law/code a keeper should be worried about? From a legal standpoint.
    Steve, we are talking about the legal and illegal considerations of a keeper receiving infernalis from out of state ( or in the state of California) as they are a native species. Most of the literature list infernalis as a population " of concern " bc of urbanization, flooding, and overall encroachment of civilization into their habitat. On the books legislation of being protected seems to be centered around the southern and coastal populations of other t.sirtalis native to California. Wikipedia list t.s. Infernalis as "endangered" on the conservation status. The legal status although unclear from different sources seems to be that it's not illegal to own, keep, breed, infernalis.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Additonally on clarification, the OP is a resident of California asking about the legal implications of recieving a captive bred "native species" garter snake from out of state.

I still have a call into Cali fish and wildlife. So far I've spoken to 3 different offices who all direct me to someone else. I'm now waiting for another call, hopefully, she will know something and can help in this situation. The bureaucracy is unbelievable.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Not unbelievable but inconsiderate. I went through something similar with the Pennsylvania Fish and Wildlife dept prior to obtaining clearance and a aquaculture license to vend at the Hamburg reptile expo. But once in the right department the greetings and information became more friendly and personal.

Just got off the phone with Lora Pat (CA Fish and Wildlife, 916-341-6981) Very nice person to deal with. Here's what I got from our conversation. The easiest thing to do is to possess a CA Sports Fishing License and collect a snake from the wild. She did caution where you collect it as there are some restricted areas(San Mateo County) and most of Southern CA.
    The other option is to buy from someone out of State and have it shipped after you've gotten this form approved. If any other question need answered I would give Lora a callback. Hope this helps.
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...D=47567&inline
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Nice research into the questions Steve. Sounds eerily similar to Penna State Law and the aquaculture licensing needed to vend at the reptile expos.