Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live plants in vivariums?

What is the general consensus on live plants in vivariums?

I came this:
    Lucky Reptile Tree Planter Small TP-K - Surrey Pet SuppliesAnd really like it and has brought my attention to the idea of having live plants in my vivarium.
    I like the idea but I don't know what plants will live in such warm humid temperatures and are safe for Manny?

Does anyone else have live plants in their vivs?

Any advice for me please?
    1.1 T.s.parietalis - Manny and Olive
    1.3 Poecilia reticulata - Mojo and not yet named R.I.P Shushi =[
    0.4 Poecilia reticulata Fry - Snake grub =P
    1.0 Ampullariidae - Ernie R.I.P Bert =[

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Live plants in vivariums?

I kill plants, so stick to silk plants in my vivs. I've seen photos from people who do use live plants, so it is done and when done well looks spectacular. As for plants suitable, if I was to do it I'd do a little research on plants in the snake's natural range and see which plants were available here.
    Given that I struggle to keep my aquarium plants alive (I persevere with them because they actually help the tank chemistry and serve more than a decorative purpose) I won't be adding any to the snake vivs any time soon.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I tried a small fig plant but not being the best with a green thumb it died. Left it in there and the snakes hide under the pot and inside the pot under the moss.
    I also tried pothos but the snakes dug it up exploring the potting soil. I know a guy that uses large amounts of them to filter water used in his turtle and alligator enclosures. No soil just running water around them. They grow like crazy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    I kill plants, so stick to silk plants in my vivs. I've seen photos from people who do use live plants, so it is done and when done well looks spectacular. As for plants suitable, if I was to do it I'd do a little research on plants in the snake's natural range and see which plants were available here.
    Given that I struggle to keep my aquarium plants alive (I persevere with them because they actually help the tank chemistry and serve more than a decorative purpose) I won't be adding any to the snake vivs any time soon.
    Ar yes that's a good idea, I will get on google now and see what I can find.

What aquarium plants do you have? I have two fish tanks but they are only small; 12 liters each and wanted some live plants in there but got put off by all the specifics. How do you manage them?

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I tried a small fig plant but not being the best with a green thumb it died. Left it in there and the snakes hide under the pot and inside the pot under the moss.
    I also tried pothos but the snakes dug it up exploring the potting soil. I know a guy that uses large amounts of them to filter water used in his turtle and alligator enclosures. No soil just running water around them. They grow like crazy.
    So fig plants and pothos are safe? Are they cheap? What kind of maintenance do they need?

Subadult snake i_heart_sneakie_snakes's Avatar

I keep one live potted plant in each of my snakes cages. They like to dig in the dirt, some more than others though. I think it helps keep some humidity too because I live in a desert area and it is very dry. I just water them once a week or so. I've never had a problem. I have Pothos plants because they are easy to care for (even brown thumbs can grow these) and healthy for your home
    Pothos - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com
    0.2.4 T.s. Fitchi - Flickabee and Salem
    0.1 T.s. Sirtalis - Failte

1.1 T.e.Vagrans - Lumiere and Pumpkin
    T.s. Pickeringii- Little Boy Blue

Quote Originally Posted by i_heart_sneakie_snakes View Post
    I keep one live potted plant in each of my snakes cages. They like to dig in the dirt, some more than others though. I think it helps keep some humidity too because I live in a desert area and it is very dry. I just water them once a week or so. I've never had a problem. I have Pothos plants because they are easy to care for (even brown thumbs can grow these) and healthy for your home
    Pothos - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com
    Ar thank you, I will try and find one of these plants and give it a go. I like the leaves and would give nice shelter for Manny and a bonus for helping with the humidity, I've been having a bit of trouble with it too.

Do you have any pictures of your plant in your set up?

I will try the fig plant too, see which one works best in my viv.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by JodiLeigh View Post

Do you have any pictures of your plant in your set up?
    I took a few for you IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.jpg

With these pothos plants, you can just break a leaf off at the stem (or clip off a stem), put it in water and it will root. Then just plant that and it will grow. So it is easy to make new plants or smaller plants for smaller cages too.
    I also have lots of fake plants for them to play in. They don't always have shredded paper in there. Thats just a treat when the shredder is full. They like it

Quote Originally Posted by i_heart_sneakie_snakes View Post
    I took a few for you IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.jpg

With these pothos plants, you can just break a leaf off at the stem (or clip off a stem), put it in water and it will root. Then just plant that and it will grow. So it is easy to make new plants or smaller plants for smaller cages too.
    I also have lots of fake plants for them to play in. They don't always have shredded paper in there. Thats just a treat when the shredder is full. They like it
    Awww thank you, cool! That's a really nice set up, I like the holey rock hide in the corner! Where did you get that from?
    They really are nice looking plants and sound fun to experiment with in different places and sizes.
    What kind of garter is that? S/he is really cute, looks really happy in that shredded paper. Think I will try that, I bet Manny would look to burrow in some shredded paper or card

I like the holey rock hide in the corner! Where did you get that from?
    I actually made that. I am starting to make 3 more. 2 for my other cages and 1 I am going to try and sell locally. They can be rinsed off with a hose if they get pooped on. The snakes love it, it has 2 caves.

What kind of garter is that?
    She is a Thamnophis Sirtalis Fitchii, a Common Valley Garter. I have 2 girls. They are really sweet snakes, and pretty More pics...
    IMG_0004-001.jpgIMG_0001-001.jpgIMG_0016.JPG