Thread: New here!

Hi, I'm New Here!

New here!

I just joined - partially because I'm looking for a specific garter snake to add to my collection. My daughter and I captured and released this garter snake while field herping in the Oregon Coast range. I personally don't like collecting animals out of the wild, so if anyone could point me in the direction of someone breeding this particular species, it would be appreciated!

I've been keeping various colubrids (western hognose, mexican nights, rhino rats, eastern indigos, black pines) and pythons, along with just a few dwarf boas.

Karin
    35298607_767270180328330_2936764324787519488_n.jpg

Re: New here!

We have a number of breeders on the page who produce stunning garters. Cruise the page to see some of their posts. You won't be able to contact them until you've made at least 5 posts yourself. After that 5 post threshold you will have full member privileges.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

That's a northwestern garter, they are very rarely bred and have so many patterns/colors available you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who ends up breeding one that looks just like that. They are one of the most naturally variable snakes in the world IMO.

Also I am not sure you can keep species native to Oregon anymore, they recently changed some native wildlife laws pertaining to reptiles. There are still many dozens of garter species/subspecies available that are not native to Oregon though.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for the advice. Now I don't live in Oregon, so I was hoping that if someone was breeding this particular coloration, I' love to purchase.