Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 gal. tank?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Re: 5 gal. tank?

Well you just don't want the baby to get crushed or hurt by the bigger one. And there will always be the concern that the bigger one could pick up a scent from the smaller snakes food and think he is food. So what i reccomend is that you seperate the two for feeding and then after the smaller one eats soak the smaller one in luke warm water to try and rinse the scent off.
    Bluesirtalis

I use 5 gallon tanks for first year babies, plenty of room.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Well you just don't want the baby to get crushed or hurt by the bigger one. And there will always be the concern that the bigger one could pick up a scent from the smaller snakes food and think he is food. So what i reccomend is that you seperate the two for feeding and then after the smaller one eats soak the smaller one in luke warm water to try and rinse the scent off.
    Yeah, that was my concern, mistaking the small one for lunch. Garters are smart but sometimes they can be a little... un-bright. So are you saying I can keep them together, but not when feeding? And then I have to wash him? It might be easier to just house him separately...

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    I use 5 gallon tanks for first year babies, plenty of room.
    Glad I'll be able to use it. I wasn't sure if anything could thrive in something that small.

I have housed babies (temporarily) in sandwich size poly boxes without issues.

as long as there is room for a water bowl and hide, the snakes are fine.

the cap from a spice bottle is sufficient as a water bowl for neonate garter snakes.

Good stuff, Wayne.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I try.....thanks

Wow, that guy is tiny. So I'll use it for that, and than later I might put something more permanent... or not... maybe... Thanks

Banned

Everyone keeps recommending snakes and lizards but it doesn't matter how small they are. It's impossible to create a proper temperature gradient or range of conditions in something so small. It's not just about enough space for the animal and it's not about the animal having enough room to roam. It's too damn small, even if your snake or lizard is only a couple of inches long.

I know there will be plenty of people who say otherwise. It's just my opinion that if you use something that small, there's no room for error. The entire enclosure can get too warm, or be too cool but if you have something bigger, it can be too warm on one end, too cool on the other, and it won't matter.

I will admit Richard, I climate control the whole room, so what I said may not be applicable to others.

However, did you know you can use small track light bulbs as basking lamps that will make a nice little 3 inch basking spot..

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Everyone keeps recommending snakes and lizards but it doesn't matter how small they are. It's impossible to create a proper temperature gradient or range of conditions in something so small. It's not just about enough space for the animal and it's not about the animal having enough room to roam. It's too damn small, even if your snake or lizard is only a couple of inches long.

I know there will be plenty of people who say otherwise. It's just my opinion that if you use something that small, there's no room for error. The entire enclosure can get too warm, or be too cool but if you have something bigger, it can be too warm on one end, too cool on the other, and it won't matter.
    THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!!! That was a concern when I posted this. No warm side/hot side. Don't know why I forgot to wright that down. Dang, now I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    I will admit Richard, I climate control the whole room, so what I said may not be applicable to others.

However, did you know you can use small track light bulbs as basking lamps that will make a nice little 3 inch basking spot..
    That's ALSO what I thought... shucks, I'm confused... Should I put anything in it or not?!?