Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a Checkered Garter Snake

I was wondering if anyone has an idea where I could locate a Checkered Garter (T. marcianus) in Canada? Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Jason
    Last edited by Boots; 07-25-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Looking for a Checkered Garter Snake

Where in Canada, exactly? You probably have a better chance in major urban centres than in the middle of nowhere (which is where I live).

Quote Originally Posted by QuietLunatic
    Where in Canada, exactly? You probably have a better chance in major urban centres than in the middle of nowhere (which is where I live).
    I live out West, in Edmonton Alberta, but I would be willing to drive to Calgary if need be. I am planning a trip to Vancouver next month, so I might have better luck in the Big City so to speak. While we are the capital city, we only have about 3/4 million people. If anyone is interested, Here is a link for more information on Edmonton .

Hi, I'm New Here!

I live in Nova Scotia, and for reasons I can't explain, we get the Edmonton Global channel on cable. I'm all up to date on Edmonton happenings! Weird.

Hi, I'm New Here!

If there isn't a pet store around where you live, you can actually order snakes online! I was looking on Google and I found corhs.org, but I can't tell if they have any garter snakes.

check the classifieds on kingsnake.com....saw a possibly gravid female for sale. I might have babies next year...as long as my pair gets to breeding size by then, the male will be, but the female might not.

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr
    check the classifieds on kingsnake.com....saw a possibly gravid female for sale. I might have babies next year...as long as my pair gets to breeding size by then, the male will be, but the female might not.
    Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem is I am located in Canada and would prefer not to import one from outside the country. I have had problems with customs in the past, and would hate to have to fill out the forms for a live animal. Not to mention that they might quarantine a live snake. The good news is that I know they are available in Canada and it is only a matter of time till I track one down. Besides, the fun is in the hunt.

Jason

Hi, I'm New Here!

So you are going to catch a wild one? That should be fun, and I don't think it will be too hard, as there are numerous garter snakes "checkered" all over Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Kaabi
    So you are going to catch a wild one? That should be fun, and I don't think it will be too hard, as there are numerous garter snakes "checkered" all over Canada

Take one from the wild, no not me. I would rather buy one that was born in captivity then take one out of the wild. It does not seem fair to let it live its live roaming free, to then be snatched away to live in a small tank (as compared to the great outdoors). Of course this is coming from the guy who works in a 12 x 9 cubicle everyday.

Jason
    Last edited by Boots; 07-18-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Ahh yes, bred in captivity, that's nice. Because if that's the way it happens, they don't know what it's like to be free (which is good, in a way).