"First shed, A Success"

Aquarium w/screen lid vs reptile-specific terrariums

I’m in the research and planning stages of possibly getting a garter in the spring.

I have a 10 gallon, 20 long and 30 gallon aquarium at my disposal. I have the budget to spend on a snake, but am also a fan of saving money and making the most of what I already own.

Is an aquarium with a screen lid (and clips) secure enough to contain a garter? Or, is it better to invest in the terrariums that have the built-in sliding tops or the Exo-Terra type enclosures?

I want to prevent escapes in general, and I also have two dogs that I worry would kill a loose snake.

Thanks.

Re: Aquarium w/screen lid vs reptile-specific terrariums

As long as the lid fits tight and has no gaps it should be fine. Garters are escape artists and will take advantage is any security lapses.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    As long as the lid fits tight and has no gaps it should be fine. Garters are escape artists and will take advantage is any security lapses.

Thanks for the advice. I’d really like to use what I already have if possible. My junior high school science teacher had a garter that liked to hang out in lid/tank lip area a lot, although I can’t remember if it ever managed to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by MNGuy View Post
    is it better to invest in the terrariums that have the built-in sliding tops or the Exo-Terra type enclosures?
    I keep mine in a regular 20 long with a screen top with clips, two on the front panel and two on the back panel. An extra or tighter fitting pair of clips will only run you a few dollars. You can always weigh it down too for added security, I'd use a small stone or something not flammable versus a book though. Of course one of the ones with the built in sliding screens would be even better but I've had no escapes with the way I have mine set up now.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty3159 View Post
    I keep mine in a regular 20 long with a screen top with clips, two on the front panel and two on the back panel. An extra or tighter fitting pair of clips will only run you a few dollars. You can always weigh it down too for added security, I'd use a small stone or something not flammable versus a book though. Of course one of the ones with the built in sliding screens would be even better but I've had no escapes with the way I have mine set up now.
    That is very reassuring to know! Thanks!