Page 353 of 608 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403453 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 6080

re: Other pets (pics and discussions)

Here's a picture that's more flattering of his figure. Warning, I took this when I first got him home. He's standing in filth. I snapped a few more photos for reference and immediately took him out and cleaned everything.

mike

He's a cutie Mike! I'm glad he's bonding with you. Picturing him jumping into your lamp and you giving him love warms my heart.

I also want to say that I understand what you are saying Richard...but it isn't as if Mike took this little guy out of the wild. Considering the conditions that Mike has described that the poor little guy was living in in his previous home, I would consider this a rescue. The animal probably could not survive in the wild at this point, so the fact that Mike is giving him a good home now is the best thing for him.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Are you sure they were prairie dogs that you saw? According to all of the range maps I've seen, they don't occur in California. The only state they can be found in that borders California is Arizona. You may have actually be seeing a species of ground squirrel. Some look very similar to that photo:

And I wasn't aware people hunt these! It's disgusting. There's several sites dedicated to it. People just sitting back in chairs with their guns shooting them as they pop out of their burrows.
    As far as I know "prairie dog" is just a type of ground squirrel anyway.

I've seen ground squirrels all over CA and even in western Nevada and northern Baja California. They're different than the "prairie dogs" I saw in Lassen Co., CA.

Ground squirrels are blood thirsty and they are usually very similar to tree squirrels, like the picture you provided. They'll eat anything they can catch including birds, snakes, etc. They also live in semi-arid or rocky habitats with little to no vegetation. That's not true of prairie dogs. The prairie dogs I saw look like the picture I provided. They "bark" (almost sounds like they're laughing at you when they are alarmed) Perhaps they were introduced (To Lassen county, CA) prairie dogs. They only could be found in the high mountain valleys which were very rich and well vegetated grassland, much like the midwestern prairies.

OK, I'll buy into the possibility that their "thickness" depends on species. I see that now. I stand corrected.

And yes, people hunt them. That's how I became familiar with them in Lassen county. (Little Valley, CA) They sure as heck don't act, eat, or sound like regular ground squirrels. That area has ground squirrels too. They don't live in the grassy valley. They live in burrows on hillsides surrounding the valley, in rocky outcrops. And let me explain why we were hunting the prairie dogs. Those grassy valleys also happen to be fenced grazing land for horses. Nearly every year, losses are sustained by the horses stepping in the holes and breaking their legs. Not to mention the virus laden fleas they carry. And yes, they carry actual bubonic plague right where we were hunting them.

But anyway, I was told that about 10 years after I was there, the valley flooded and killed them all. The ground squirrels remain, since they don't live in the grassy valley. All the prairie dogs perished. That's why I tend to think that perhaps they were introduced and didn't belong there in the first place.

I don't know why, but I just don't feel anything for most rodents except perhaps tree squirrels. I can tolerate those. But then again, I feel the same way about cats, even kittens. Some cats I can tolerate, but I certainly don't like them. Same for rodents. That includes beaver, hamster, guinnie pig, just about everything. Don't hate them, just don't like them. People say they're soooo cute. I just don't see it. Don't know why. I'm just weird I guess. Just like most people don't see "cute" when they see garter snakes. I think they're adorable.

All that aside, I have to admit, for a rodent, your new pet sure is cute. I'm sure you'll provide a good quality of life for him. I wish nothing but the best for you both.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 04-07-2012 at 02:56 AM.

yep, indeed they are a type of ground squirrel.

The possible introduction of prairie dogs into California and/or the floods killing them would explain why I couldn't find anything on them being there. That's why I suggested you were possibly seeing another rodent that looked similar to them.

I completely understand hunting them to protect the horses. I wasn't aware that they cause those issues. I know groundhogs are hunted for that very same reason.

And I guess we all have our preferences for animals. I'm trying to think of one I don't like, but having a hard time trying to figure that out this morning, lol! I'll get back with you on that once I'm fully awake and can give it some thought. Oh, and you should see the white squirrels we have. There's a large population about 20 minutes from where I'm at. Here's one that a local photographer snapped:

Thanks Richard, I'll do my absolute best!
    mike

I used to dislike cats until I got cats...and I used to dislike guinea pigs until I got guinea pigs. Oh...I used to also dislike small dogs until I got a small dog...lol. I don't like bugs or spiders.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

My female Prairie dog was a little fatty! I think it was because she was spoiled (Lot's of treats! lol!) He doesn't look as heavy in the last picture by the way! Just make sure he get's alot of out of cage time for excercise!
    Joanne 0.1 T.radix Jade / 0.1 T.s.sirtalis Jett

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

And I wasn't aware people hunt these! It's disgusting. There's several sites dedicated to it. People just sitting back in chairs with their guns shooting them as they pop out of their burrows.
    I've shot many of them.... Not at all for sport, I like them, but when they become so... thick in the fields and have so many holes that your best bull breaks his leg just by jogging and enjoying himself. They are a pest. I have sent a Dashound down holes to catch n kill them, I have shot them with arrows,with a 22, with a 306 and with a shotgun. I wouldn't exterminate them with poison or gas as some do, I just quick, headshot, infestation / population control.

That bull was never the same after breaking his leg... He was like a cat... call him over, scratch him, sit on his back. He was the best bull anyone could ask for. I would read a book in the field laying in the grass n he would find me n lay down right close to me. I'd turn n use him as a pillow.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIRK View Post
    hi

here are some other snakes i have ( non garters )and our little dog named bacchus
    2nd photo elaphe schrenckii
    3rd photo acrantophis dumerili
    4th photo opheodrys aestivus
    Attachment 4620Attachment 4621Attachment 4622Attachment 4623
    Beautiful Dum! My favorite snake! (besides garters of course!)
    Joanne 0.1 T.radix Jade / 0.1 T.s.sirtalis Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Dae View Post
    I've shot many of them.... Not at all for sport, I like them, but when they become so... thick in the fields and have so many holes that your best bull breaks his leg just by jogging and enjoying himself. They are a pest. I have sent a Dashound down holes to catch n kill them, I have shot them with arrows,with a 22, with a 306 and with a shotgun. I wouldn't exterminate them with poison or gas as some do, I just quick, headshot, infestation / population control.

That bull was never the same after breaking his leg... He was like a cat... call him over, scratch him, sit on his back. He was the best bull anyone could ask for. I would read a book in the field laying in the grass n he would find me n lay down right close to me. I'd turn n use him as a pillow.
    Yea, I wasn't aware of the issues they caused. The part that disgusted me, was this website I pulled up, on the front page, right at the very top was a picture of a prairie dog that had been shot, with half of its face and neck missing. I didn't want to see that just after receiving mine and typed out the first thing that came to mind. I don't like seeing pictures of people posing with their little dead bodies either. I've never had any interaction with them except for the one I have now and he's so sweet, I just reacted to what I saw without educating myself on why people would hunt them.
    mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    . Oh, and you should see the white squirrels we have. There's a large population about 20 minutes from where I'm at. Here's one that a local photographer snapped:

Yeah, I've seen them. Fox Squirrels I believe. There are solid black ones and solid white ones all over WA D.C. including The White House lawn. "Normal" color could be described as reddish brown with rusty highlights.

You know, the funny thing is, there's tons of gray squirrels here all over WA and OR and they visited my former home in Vancouver, WA every day, but they aren't native. They're EASTERN gray squirrels introduced from the east coast. The smaller native northwestern gray squirrel is endangered, largely because of the introduction of the eastern squirrels, but there's a healthy population of them around Ft. Lewis, WA. I guess that's because I haven't seen hide nor hair of an eastern gray squirrel in the southern Puget Sound area. Just 3 different species of chipmunks, and I've seen jet black ones, and even "cream" colored ones.