Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Found Wild Garter

Try getting a pair of gloves designed for herpers.

"First shed In Progress"

My friend in the video, Michael, is getting gloves. As for me, I think I am better off taking the bites and getting used to the jumpy feeling it gives me. After all, I'm not always going to have the gloves on me when I'm in the wild. If I see a snake, I wouldn't be able to do anything with it because I would be so nervous of getting bit. Great idea though.

[QUOTE=Finalflash50;214459]My friend in the video, Michael, is getting gloves. As for me, I think I am better off taking the bites and getting used to the jumpy feeling it gives me. After all, I'm not always going to have the gloves on me when I'm in the wild. If I see a snake, I wouldn't be able to do anything with it because I would be so nervous of getting bit. Great idea though.[W/QUOTE]

Good thinking = wise decision.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Adult snake

I don't think there's anything wrong with going barehanded. It can be hard to handle a snake gently (especially a small one) with thick gloves. Most garters just try to escape without striking. Some of the larger snakes I find try to get me, but I can usually get them to strike at a pillow case and then work the rest of them inside. Just wash your hands thoroughly when you're done.

I like to go herping on those 50-60 degree cloudy days, though we don't get many here. Nobody wants to strike at those temps and they're all under cover so you just have to find their hides. Much easier than flushing them out of tall grass, IMO.

Looks like an eastern to me...where are you exactly? Don't feel bad...I always used gloves to pick up garters when I first got into the hobby...I was a bit skiddish about getting bitten by a snake at first. I have also been guilty of picking them up by their tails...sometimes when my little babies are flipping all over and I need to catch them...I end up catching them by the tail...but everyone is right...it's not good for the bigger snakes and you have learned that and now you know. Very pretty girl...she is probably gravid...I would let her go on her way as long as she has a safe place outside to have those babies.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"First shed In Progress"

I'm in Michigan. Macomb County. A majority of the snakes I will ever see are going to be eastern garters. There's only been one time where I saw a different type of snake. It was a smooth green snake. Every other snake I saw was a garter, most likely eastern.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress"

The greensnake was really cool to find. It never showed any defense against me. I saw it, and grabbed it immediately. It panicked at first but calmed right down and behaved really well. I still like finding garters better, though.