Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Attack

"First shed In Progress"

An Attack

For the past year, I've had 2 snakes, Lightning and Plissken. The whole year, things went peaceful. They got along great. Lightning wasn't used to sharing food ever, so I put him in a separate container for feeding time. Tonight, once I put him back in, he moved around for a little bit, then attack Plissken in the tail. He wouldn't let go for 10 seconds. It was very stressful to watch. I stood there wondering what I should do, and then about a minute later, he did it again. I tapped him on the side to make him let go, then grabbed Plissken and lifted him into Lightning's feeding container, where he is now.

I don't know why Lightning had an urge to do something like this. This is definitely a first. There have been 5 snakes in the tank at one point, and he never did anything like this. Does anyone know why he would do this? The feeding wasn't very big. I only gave them 3 minnows each as that was all I had. Lightning shed about 3 weeks ago, so he can see just fine. Plissken appears to be okay, just shaken up. I have water in there, so there's no limit on his time in there.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: An Attack

He was still hungry and still in feeding mode.

Is there a big size difference between them? Not that that makes a big difference, i started separating my infernalis after the smallest of my "infernal three" grabbed her larger sister by the head for the second time, similar to your experience except she didn't have hold of her sister by the tail and there was a bit of a bleeding. There was a lot of thrashing around and the little one let go when I picked them up. Now the infernalis are fed in different containers (and one stays in the viv) at the same time and I leave them in the containers for 15-20 minutes after they've eaten before they go back together. I don't let them stuff themselves, so they often stay active after going back into the viv but no incidents since I started separating.

I've also got a pair of rescued marcianus, which are hyperaggressive when they are in feeding mode. They will will chase each other and strike out at me when feeding. I still feed them together but usually manage to keep them on opposite ends of the viv, they are still very nervous of handling and I have to admit that I'm a little nervous of handling them after one of them chewed on my finger for five minutes a few month back... So far they haven't attacked each other, just stolen food from each other.

I think it's just a feeding accident, and I'd put them back together now it's been several hours. Keep an eye on them for a while after putting them back together, but they should be switched off from their feeding response now. Just leave Lightning longer after eating next time and keep a watch on them after feeding.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I think Chris is spot-on with his advice.
    Here is a link to the forum care sheet, there is a section on why not to feed minnows and a section on safe food.

What species of garter are you keeping?

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress"

One is a Butlers Garter while the other is an Eastern. The Eastern is the one who attacked the Butler. There is no significant size difference yet. Plissken is still in his separate container. I'll be feeding them both tonight. Once they are fully fed, will they be able to rejoin living together?

After feeding I would give them an hour alone still until the feeding mode is gone.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress"

Thanks for the advice. I've bought worms, and covered them in ReptoCare powder so the bone absence in worms won't lead to a lack of calcium.

"First shed In Progress"

I think what I'm going to do is keep them separate for a while. They both seem very active, and happy right now. In about a month I'll move Plissken back in. Is this a good idea? Plissken's new home is plenty big for his size.
    The only thing I fear is that Plissken may not know where his water is. I haven't been watching him in his new tank, but the water seems a bit untouched. Just the other week I loured him over the top of it with a worm. His chin touched the water, but it didn't look like he drank any. Does anyone think he knows that it's there? If he doesn't, what can I do to help him find it? Thanks for any help.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

He will know where the water is. He's just drinking when you aren't looking.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"First shed, A Success" the_edsta's Avatar

There's always the possibility of feeding separately and still housing together. Sometimes when I have too many hatchling corns (that will be rehomed shortly), I cohab them, but feeding is always in individual tubs to avoid any instances of aggression (or potentially cannibalism).
    1.0 Florida Blue (Sirtalis), 1.0 Parietalis, 1.1 Marcianus
    0.1 infernalis, 1.0 Eques obscurus
    6.5 Pantherophis 0.1 Scarlet King; 1.0 Cali King; 1.1 PueblaCorn;
    2.3 Milk/King hybrids (new!)

Steve, the dace minnows are ok but they are fresh water, wild caught. Anything from the pet stores are garbage.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."