Never shed

How to tame wild caught garters?

I've got some juvenile WC garters and am wondering what is the best way to get them used to being held. I've tried not holding them often and just putting my hand in their enclosure to get them used to it, but that doesn't seem effective. I can't say I've been consistent with that method, but I'd like opinions on what experienced folks have found that works.

Re: How to tame wild caught garters?

Some of taming can depend on species and sex.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Some of taming can depend on species and sex.
    I have a T.S. Parietalis (unknown gender) and a T.E. Vagrans which I believe is female.

Red-sided garters as a rule are pretty agreeable. Females seem to be most inviting to becoming docile. I can't speak for T. e. vagrans(never kept them).

Food is a good way to breakdown fear. Using a pair of hemostats will help as it separates the food from the hand. Give them plenty of hides and put them in a place they can see you. This will get them used to seeing you and that you don't come after them all the time. They are not housed together are they?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Red-sided garters as a rule are pretty agreeable. Females seem to be most inviting to becoming docile. I can't speak for T. e. vagrans(never kept them).

Food is a good way to breakdown fear. Using a pair of hemostats will help as it separates the food from the hand. Give them plenty of hides and put them in a place they can see you. This will get them used to seeing you and that you don't come after them all the time. They are not housed together are they?
    They're in a bedroom that sees traffic. They will come to the glass in the tank and are not afraid when we approach. They are feed with tweezers. They are currently housed together; I will be separating them in the near future to prevent any breeding. Were you asking so they don't breed or some concern with them hurting each other?

I have read and heard that T.e. vagrans can be cannibalistic. I would also be more concerned about the size difference and the fear of cannibalism.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

I have read and heard that T.e. vagrans can be cannibalistic. I would also be more concerned about the size difference and the fear of cannibalism.
    Good to know. They're currently similarly sized, but the vagrans has a much bigger appetite and is growing fast.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

i have had quite a few of t s vagrans and always housed them together. both babies and adults

"Third shed In Progress"

The best way I have experienced when it comes to taming baby garters is that if they are good eaters I would pick them up individually and move them to another tub, feed them in that tub and then pick them up one by one and move them to their original enclosure. This gets them to associate being touched with food. Obviously don't do this with picky eaters as the stress from being handled will likely make them even pickier, but for solid eaters they don't care.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Born free, live free! Get captive bred. Just my .02 cents. There have been exceptional individuals garnered from the wild but we all have our personal preferences.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.