Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Blue puget roadblock....

image.jpgTonight... Staying upright more often than not. Intermittent twirling still present and basic disorientation when crawling.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Old and wise snake

So sorry to hear this. It actually sounds like it might be from dehydration during brumation. You could try soaking him but I'm not a vet. Good luck bud!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    So sorry to hear this. It actually sounds like it might be from dehydration during brumation. You could try soaking him but I'm not a vet. Good luck bud!!
    Thanks Eddie! Yep! For sure there is a element of dehydration and part of his therapy is tube feedings. I have been soaking him but surely I can do that more frequently. Thanks again. He was always a slim garter as males.usually are. His weight loss was actually minimal, at around 4 grams. Thanks again for weighing in and the suggestion.

Well, 2nd injection of B1 given this afternoon. His behavior is much more animated but he still is favoring one side over the other with intermittent flipping. The favoring of one side or actually leaning to one side is indicative of the depletion of thiamine and it's effect on the myelin sheaths in the central nervous system and the neurons. He is super active but is visibly affected still. The vets say it's a time factor consideration on the question of recovery and or disability. Keep you posted.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

sorry to hear this al. i know how bad you wanted this project to go forward and how hard you worked. did you have water in the fridge with him? a lot of mine soak during brumation. i fed smelt a few years ago but i was having the same types of problem cause of the thiamin in them. those symtems also sound alot like thermal shock. hope he gets well soon and the female holds off until hes better

Quote Originally Posted by Tommytradix View Post
    sorry to hear this al. i know how bad you wanted this project to go forward and how hard you worked. did you have water in the fridge with him? a lot of mine soak during brumation. i fed smelt a few years ago but i was having the same types of problem cause of the thiamin in them. those symtems also sound alot like thermal shock. hope he gets well soon and the female holds off until hes better
    Thank you Tommy, i appreciate the sentiments. Yes, i did have quite a bit of time, hope and determination in this project for sure. Best laid plans are always subject to fate though. I did have water in the tubs in the refrigerator but didn't mist them too frequently. The thiamine deficiency was confirmed by the vets. Certainly could be other elements of illness although the posturing, abnormal crawling, and inabilty to navigate the terrarium kind of sealed the diagnosis from the vets perspective. Bloodwork was the definitive diagnosis as well. The treatments so far have helped but the more i see of his movements and neurological presentation i can't help but think there is permanent disability in his future. Almost sure he will survive but his quality of life is very uncertain. Thanks for all your help and concern. It's very nice to have the support.

Not a whole lot positive to report on guys. 3rd thiamine injection scheduled for today. His presentation is essentially the same. Still soaking twice a day, tube feedings every three days and observation. FIngers and toes crossed. Reached out to Steven Bol who reported that he was feeding primarily smelt but he added vitamin b1 every time. I know he had pinky mice and smelt with me. Steven feels they can make 100% recovery but each case has its own variables as far as that goes. Ughhh.

Third thiamine injection in...sometimes he appears better than others but I don't know if it's just me wanting to see improvement. Soaking , observation, and cessation of the tube feeding for now is the plan going forward. Time over the next week will determine a lot. He is still symptomatic with a abnormal crawl and head tilt. The corkscrewing seems to have stopped. Revisit vet on Tuesday. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, same presentation by the blue puget male. Lateralizing signs with the head tilt and abnormal forward crawling coupled with intermittent corkscrewing. He seems to be interested in the female but just can't coordinate the appropriate positioning. Very difficult to watch this and I feel his quality of life is at a standstill. Vet visit tomorrow and I am not happy about what I think i will hear.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee