Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clumsy baby

"Preparing For First shed"

Re: Clumsy baby

While fancy guppies are generally bigger than feeder guppies, and prettier, they're also a lot more expensive. You should be able to buy feeder guppies for 20 cents or so. And the nice thing about guppies is they are air breathers, so if you stick a male and two females in a bowl of dechlorinated water and keep them fed you'll get about 20 babies from each female every month. It takes a while for the fry to get big enough to feed to your snakes, but if you have the room I feel it's worth it. Just be sure to crush the food very fine when there are babies and they should do just fine.

You're right on your price.
    5 for a dollar at my local pet shop.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Subadult snake

they charge 1.99 each here for feeder guppies...I told them they were nutty!

"Preparing For First shed"

Post on craigs list that you're looking for some cheap guppies. Trust me, anyone who breeds them should have more than a couple extras. The first litter is cute, maybe only 10 or so, and it's so exciting to watch them grow. And then suddenly each female is dropping 20 at the same time... yeah. I used to have to hunt down friends with fish who'd eat the extras when I thinned out my collection when I bred fancy guppies. Especially the males, which are smaller and should be easier to eat for your little one.

I did ask for feeder guppies, they said they had an extremely large stock of feeder guppies and I did tell her that I had some baby snakes that needed some feeder guppies. We're getting more worms at Fred Meyers, they sell them depending on weight but I normally get anywhere from 20-30 really large ones for 3 dollars. They aren't for the snakes though until I get them eating a better diet, it's hard to tell really what they've been eating! Mine eat fruit scraps, egg shells and all of that and they actually eat some of the food that's for my crickets and that's high in calcium so I'd assume them being healthier. I wanted to buy bulk pinkies but I can't afford the shipping or buying $80+ pinkies for a low price. The tilapia and salmon didn't cost too much but we only got a little in case they wouldn't eat. The lady at the store was also nice enough so give us a little extra for free just so I could feed my snakes. She said they must be extremely pampered to have someone buying some fillets for them
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Well, it was dinner time here for the snakes and all of them stuffed themselves so much they wouldn't eat another bite and guess who ate? Tiny! He ate one small piece of worm. He was looking extremely skinny and sluggish today. I hope he'll keep eating. I did kind of "harass" him with the worm, I followed him around with it until he got mad and bit it. The first time he let go and the second time he fought with it before swallowing it.
    You can see the little bulge that the worm made in his belly, and how thin he is now. He never looked so twiggy until today.

Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

Aaawww, how old is he? He really is "tiny" What a cute baby!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    The lady at the store was also nice enough so give us a little extra for free just so I could feed my snakes. She said they must be extremely pampered to have someone buying some fillets for them

The guys at the fish dept. always ask who's getting the salmon. They look at my kids because I don't order a large amount. I always tell them they can give me the not so best piece. You should see the look I get when I tell them it's for my snakes and not my kids! Priceless! Of course then they ask what kind of snakes, etc...
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Tiny is 3 weeks old, I'm pretty sure he wasn't more than a couple days old when I caught him. He still has his little belly button, it's so adorable. The woman that gave us the fish hated snakes but she was really nice about giving us the free salmon, all the babies and Mama love it. That's all they wanted. They rejected the worms and ate the tilapia too. Mama even pushed Snakey away while she was pigging out on salmon She's possibly pregnant and Snakey hasn't learned to not bother the "fat" woman while shes eating cause she's gonna eat it all! Haha. He gave me a loo like "Take this woman out of here... I want to eat those worms! she wont even let me near them "
    Chantel

Tiny is looking good. You might keep with small meals for awhile.
    Sometimes snakes that haven't eaten in awhile gorge themselves, only to throw it back up.
    I think small scale meals let their digestive tract get kicked back in gear.
    Great job getting Tiny to eat.
    Let's hope you'll be wanting a name change soon.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee