Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: garter food

Re: garter food

ok well it set up in the freezer pretty well it was in there for an hour but i think it can still harden a bit more but on another note (now i think it was completely done yet) the mix started to fall apart a lot more easily as it warmed up so i do think i need more geletin next time however my babies are eating it no problem the adults though are still on the i want mice phase
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

cool....yea, sounds like it might need more gelatin....

That is awesome you got them to eat some... I may try this when my family is at school/work. I know my cats will be sitting there with me making it..! they might like it!! ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by crzy_kevo View Post
    ok well it set up in the freezer pretty well it was in there for an hour but i think it can still harden a bit more but on another note (now i think it was completely done yet) the mix started to fall apart a lot more easily as it warmed up so i do think i need more geletin next time however my babies are eating it no problem the adults though are still on the i want mice phase
    Stephanie

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crzy_kevo View Post
    Kev, I used a little under a pound of trout, and I still used 1 1/2 pkts of gelatin, with about 1/2 cup of water. It seems to hold together really well that way.
    Glad you tried it with the regular mixer, I was wondering if it could be done that way.
    Good thing I took the plunge and tested this recipe first. It really seems to be catching on. Thanks again to Charles for sending it to me!
    Anji

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charles parenteau View Post
    Shannon dont add worm or anything except fish because the gelatine wont congeal that why we dont put the head the guts ...everything they need is inthere even more..
    with this food your garter will becomes round with more girth ...its easy to over feed the snake because they cant stop eating ..they eat until they are full full 2 days later its all gone they are ready to feed again ...your garter can easily becomes fat so do not over feed them ..its kinda hard ..
    one rodent one fish per week is good enough .im gonna ask to phil blais what is the equivalent mixture versus rodent ...
    my garters are already as round as they can be without being over weight

However I do not feel that one food item per week is sufficient. Any garter I've ever tried that with lost too much weight and often showed signs of weakness/lethargy, not to mention, unhappy. Wild garters hunt and eat almost every day, unlike many snakes who often lie and digest for a few days before seeking more food. That is why I feed smaller meals twice per week, seeing as garters have such a fast metabolism. All other snakes eat once per week, and the garters have a much faster metabolism than they do, so they need to eat more. My babies get fed little bits once every other day.

If I can't add more variety to this gelatin mixture, my problem with it is that it is not varied. It's strictly fish. I prefer the varied diet method, and so I am still going to try adding other things to the mix. It won't hurt to try it. Worms and amphibians make up a large portion of many garter diets. If that doesn't work, then just plain salmon and trout with the occasional frog legs on fish day will do, because it would be senseless to turn it into gelatin if I am still going to be offering all the other stuff as well.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I am trying this tonight!!!! I have a pound of tilapia and a pound of salmon... wish me luck!!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

good luck dont use a kettle for the geletin the water cools off too fast cook it on the stove in a small pan or something i had little clumps left in mine that wouldnt dissolve
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Good luck shannon !!My last mixture was also made of tilapia and salmon..

well it is in the fridge until tomorrow morning... I hope it worked... surprisingly Knox gelatin does not give ANY instructions on how to actually prepare it!!! Just how to make fruit flavored treats.... How stupid... I looked it up online, used my best judgement and am going to hope for the best!!!

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

On knox gelatin its 50 ml of water per pouches. Put your water in a pan ,make it boil add your gelatin in water and with a whip mix it until the gelatin becomes liquid..Athe same time I begin to mix trout in blender . Add the gelatin with the rest of trout together that will help the blender work.