Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: I have a first snake of the year too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    Tho I'm sure you remember how hard it was for me the first time I had to feed live
    Yes, it was a wild caught gophersnake back when I was in the 6th grade (1975 I think) I bought 2 white mice @ the pet store & dropped them in with the snake. The snake hit the first one on the side & coiled it. He missed the head & the mouse started squeeking. I do not like seeing animals suffer & it was pretty hard to watch. I ended up letting the snake go before I had to feed it again.

On the other hand, that next summer I went to the East Bay Vivarium for my first time. This was way back when they were on MacArther Blvd in Oakland & owned by Ron Cobble still (he now owns the Bone Room in Albany, CA). There was an aquarium in the back of the store that was about 5ft long & had a clay vase lying on its side @ one end of the cage. I couldn't see anything in the cage & I asked the person working there what was in the cage. He walked over with a chick in his hand & told me to watch as he dropped in the chick. An Indigo snake shot out of the vase hitting the chick pushing it across the cage til it hit the glass @ the opposite end of the aquarium Blood squirted out all over the glass. It was over in seconds. I turned to my mother & said, "I want this snake!" We ended up getting 2 box turtles that day because the snake was about $200 @ that time. I finally got my first indigo snake 2 years ago from a friend for $700 & I bought another one last year. It took me 30 years but I never forgot that day.
    Sorry for rambling, Jerry

Never shed
    i live in methley in leeds ,west yorkshire. its a small semi rural village

would have been very wary taking pics. im new to snakes and have found i really like them. i have normally stuck with dogs but they are so amazing.

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

That indigo is really nice, Jerry! How are they for handling? Are they aggressive all around or just when feeding?
    Anji

Loren,
    So far this year I have found 8 different species of snakes. Brown Snake- Storeria Dekayi, Redbelly Snake- Storeria occipitomaculata, Eastern King snake- Lamporpeltis gigetula, Eastern Worm Snake- Carphophis a amoenus, Northern Water Snake- Neordia s sipedon, Black Rat Snake- Elaphe obsolete, Red-belly Water Snake- Neorida f fasicata and Southern Ringneck Snake- Diadaphis p punctatus, but no Garters! Tons of Slimy Salamanders, Green Anoles, Five Lined Skink, and Ground Skinks.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

I finally got my first indigo snake 2 years ago from a friend for $700 & I bought another one last year.
    $700 is that a typo???? (neat story!!!)
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Loren,
    So far this year I have found 8 different species of snakes. Brown Snake- Storeria Dekayi, Redbelly Snake- Storeria occipitomaculata, Eastern King snake- Lamporpeltis gigetula, Eastern Worm Snake- Carphophis a amoenus, Northern Water Snake- Neordia s sipedon, Black Rat Snake- Elaphe obsolete, Red-belly Water Snake- Neorida f fasicata and Southern Ringneck Snake- Diadaphis p punctatus, but no Garters! Tons of Slimy Salamanders, Green Anoles, Five Lined Skink, and Ground Skinks.
    Wow, you are off to a good start though. I would like to get a black rat someday, just to through some variety in the mix. I like some of the nicer colored nerodias, but they are illegal here- considered potentially harmful to our ecosystem or whatever.
    I've really only been out the one time- to the desert, but I just bought a fuel efficient vehicle, so I can leave town alot easier now.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snake lover 3-25 View Post
    $700 is that a typo???? (neat story!!!)
    No, its correct, Jerry actually got a good deal, Shanley. Indigoes often go for 800-1200, last time I checked.
    I will have one someday too. (hopefully).

Indigos are rarely available in the UK, when they are they're mega-bucks!
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

wow that's alot!!! the only snakes that i ever bought died within 6 months... i REALLY want to but another..... but i'm scared....
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    No, its correct, Jerry actually got a good deal, Shanley. Indigoes often go for 800-1200, last time I checked.
    I will have one someday too. (hopefully).
    Yeah, it was a good deal & probly the most I would ever pay for a snake. I worked alot of overtime & 3 holidays @ triple time in November to buy them. That way my wife could not say "no" to me for buying them. The person I got them from is a personal friend of Loren & I. Otherwise, I would of had to pay the $1000 minimum like everyone else.

How are they for handling? Are they aggressive all around or just when feeding?
    they are like puppy dogs! a really intellegent snake & fun to take out! They never strike @ me. Good feeders once you get them eating. Juveniles are kind of tricky to get them to start eating rodents. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! The only problem with Indigos is when they go to the bathroom. It is like a granade explosion. You can actually hear them from the next room, sounds like a whoopie cushion...LOL! If you do not clean it out right away, they smear it all over the cage.