Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Unable to feed

Adult snake

Re: Unable to feed

What are the indoor temperatures where you live? Does the snake get artificial lighting at night? It might be going off feed for brumation.
    zendragondrew likes this.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

"Preparing For First shed"

The temp in his cage is around 77 F, I have a daytime basking lamp and a nightlight heating lamp too. The temperature outside is very cold though, it's actually snowing right now.

What if he does go into brumation? What could I do?

quick thought. If the light from outdoors shines into the room hes being kept in he can use this for cues to brumate even if the lighting to his tank is automated to prevent it. Happens to me :-)
    zendragondrew likes this.
    My Garters
    1.2.6 T. Ordinoides
    1.6 T. Radix (1.2 Iowa albino 66het hypo, .4 66het hybino)
    0.1 T. Sirtalis (Melanistic)
    And a whole bunch of non garters that i dont have signature space for lol.

"Preparing For Second shed"

I wish he passed away during the week I'm not having any luck with albino garters my female is still going strong have had her over 4 years now just wanted a mate for her

Zirlz: Sorry to hear. Was it from the not eating issue?

Artic: There is close to zero light from the outside in the room he is kept in, almost all artificial light. He still moves around like normal. Sleeps sometimes, but he also burrows in the substrate and climbs around the tank. Not sure why he's not eating. Could he still be full from two weeks ago?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

He wouldn't be full from two weeks ago, but two weeks really isn't that long to go without food. Sometimes they can pick up on seasonal cues even when you'd think they wouldn't be able to.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I brought the temperature up to around 82 and have been trying to play with him as much as I can. He sits above the fish like he's thinking of eating them but won't attack!

How long before I should really start to worry? I've been feeding the feeder fish to keep them alive. I haven't tried feeding him a pinkie mouse yet, only another one of those hairy ones. Couldn't imagine him preferring a pinkie to the fish though.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

How old is he? In a healthy adult that isn't brumating (which I seriously doubt he is at 82 degrees and still active) I would say maybe a month is when you need to start worrying. Or if he starts looking like he's losing weight.

Fuzzies aren't really a good idea for garters. Their systems aren't designed to process fur well. Try a pinkie; they do usually like fish better but sometimes they decide they want something different. Have you tried nightcrawlers? Also, try getting a shallow dish or something with just a tiny bit of water and put a fish in it. Sometimes the splashing movement will get them interested.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast