Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

I ran over a garter snake with my mower

Hi Everybody I am new here, am looking for a few answers. Monday I ran over a garter snake with my mower, giving it a cut 2/3 of the way down its body about 1/2 in long. some flesh was sticking through after it sat for a bit, so I took it in the house rinsed it off with water and peroxide and put a bandaid around it to protect it. 36 hours later it escaped from the box and now 48 hours later I found it in my garage, very lethargic (sick). I sprayed it with water , there is no swelling at the wound, still a small amount of flesh hanging out that looks dead, no seeping, I dug some earthworms but cant seem to interest it in eating. Help me please! what do I do now or is it a lost cause? thanks a lot

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Re: I ran over a garter snake with my mower

Hi, from Oregon, Kovuoye
    Sounds like you have done what you can, wait for better responces
    Check out the care sheets

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Dont worry about it eating immediately or bandaids. I would just try to keep it warm and comfy and see how it does.
    ~Christa

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

Don't worry about food. I'd put on alot of antibiotic orntment and use newspaper for the substrate and give him a small water dish and another piece of newspaper slightly bent to hide under. He may Just surprise you and get better. I found one in my neighbors cats mouth that was severely ripped open in several spots and she eventually healed up and started eating. Good luck and keep us posted
    Randy

Banned

It's definitely not a lost cause if the snake is still alive.

You can't really bandage a snake, and it's not necessary. Betadine (iodine) antiseptic twice daily on the wound, (much better than ointment) and keeping it in a very clean, sterile container with paper towel liner is about all you can do. Make sure the snake always has easy access to clean drinking water. Keeping the snake warm will help. (75-80 should be fine) When the wound is dried out enough so that things don't stick to it, not seeping or bleeding, you can release the snake.

I hit a garter snake with my mower before and I could literally see backbone and ribs, and it's back was broken and kinked. I just tossed the snake into the field behind my house, thinking it would die. Well, it didn't. It showed up a year or two later, and a little bigger. Still had the kinked back, and bad scars, but had fully recovered all on it's own.

They're pretty tough. If there's no internal damage, the snake will probably be OK if you just keep the wound clean. Do not feed it before it is fully healed. I'm sure it's in pain and won't eat anyway, but don't try to feed it until it's healed. Keep the snake warm and clean, and try not to disturb him too much.

Welcome to the forum. I wish our meeting could have been under better circumstances. Thanks for your concern about the snake's well-being.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

They're surprisingly tough, so that one still probably has a chance . Nothing much I can add to what's already been said as far as advice goes.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Banned

I'll add this: If the snake is still alive and alert 7-10 days after the trauma, I would say his chances are very good for long term recovery.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everybody, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately the snake died the afternoon I found it in the garage. (Friday). I was surprised a how long it took for my post to show up on the site. Is it possible it died from being held captive? One of the last things it did was climb out of the pail I had it in temporarily while I was makeing a safe spot for it, and then it went downhill from there.

Welcome to the forum.
    It sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice.
    Thanks for being concerned and taking the time to care.
    Garter snakes don't have many friends out there.
    Keep us posted please.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Welcome to our forum. Thank you for taking the time to care for the snake.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast